    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001

      We have been blessed with the nectar of Sri Swami Krishnanandaji
      Maharaj's autobiography at Swamiji's website. Swamiji's autobiography is
      at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/aubio/mylife_1.html

      The print version will be released on Swamiji's birthday on April 25th.

      A new update by Sri Swami Adhyatmanandaji on the Divine Life Society of
      Ahmedabad's earthquake relief work has been posted at:
      http://www.divyajivan.org/Earthquake/index.htm

      In the update yesterday Swamiji had mentioned that one of our Hospital
      Complex at Adipur Kutch has been severely damaged by the earthquake. A
      full report on the estimated cost of damages is available at the above
      site. Please donate generously so that we can rebuild our Hospital which
      has been graced by our Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji and Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji. Swamiji also reminded us of Worshipful Sri Gurudev's
      saying--SPEND SPEND SPEND, HE WILL SEND SEND SEND.

      Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji's "Practice of Ayurveda" is the title of
      the latest book released at Sivananda Ashram, Rishikesh. This book can
      be purchased from our E-bookstore at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books.htm

      We have uploaded a discourse by Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji Maharaj on
      why the Master insisted on equipping aspirants with both theoretical and
      practical knowledge of Yoga and Vedanta. This discourse is titled
      "Theory and Practice":
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/mar2001.htm

      Our spiritual calendar from April 2001 to April 2002 has been uploaded
      to:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/calendar.htm

      The Divine Life Society of Brasil has a mailing list in Portugese.
      Devotees who would like to join this mailing list can send an e-mail
      with the word INCLUDE in the subject header to:
      instituto-ives@...

      The Yoga Vidya Ashram in Germany has started a daily Newsletter in
      German with the translation of Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj's
      Daily Readings called "T├Ągliche Inspiration aus der Feder Swami
      Sivanandas". Anybody interested in receiving a daily inspiration from
      Gurudev Sri Swami Sivananda can subscribe at:
      http://www.yoga-vidya.de/Yoga-Lesung/Sivananda_Eintrag.htm

      ENCOURAGEMENT: "Om Namo Narayanaya! Come, Torrenton Advocate Saheb,"
      greeted the Master, even before Sri Amir Chandji of Torrenton entered
      the office.

      "You first met me when I was in Rishikesh," the Master kindled the
      advocate's memory.

      "Yes, Swamiji, that was in 1924."

      "Are you having a good practice now? How is your family and how are your
      children? How is your health?" the Master went on enquiring, and got the
      one reply, "Everything is all right and everyone is keeping quite fit,
      only through your Grace, Maharaj."

      "You have now completely retired from active life, Advocate Maharaj, so
      you should spend all your time in Sadhana. Why not take Sannyas?"

      "Swamiji, what shall I say? Attachment to the family does not leave me
      even now. How can I embrace Sannyas? By thy Grace only will I be able to
      get dispassion."

      "You previously told me that you were doing some worship," the Master
      reminded him.

      "Yes, Swamiji, long, long ago I was inspired by your book on Japa Yoga
      Sadhana. From the very minute I perused the book, I took to the
      repetition of the Gayatri Mantra. Another Swamiji whom I met also
      encouraged me greatly in this. He said that your words should always be
      taken as gospel truths, as God's commands. I performed six
      Purascharanas* of the Gayatri Mantra, too."

      "Six Purascharanas? Wonderful! You should have long ago attained purity
      of heart. Then you are already a Sannyasin. The Gayatri is the greatest
      of all Mantras. And even one Purascharana is difficult to perform; it is
      a wonder how you were able to perform six!"

      "But, Swamiji, the impurities inside were perhaps too much for even six
      Purascharanas."

      "Six Purascharanas is a great achievement indeed. Even now you should go
      on repeating the Gayatri Mantra. You should not give it up till you
      achieve the goal of God-realisation."

      "Surely I will, Swamiji."

      The Master later arranged for Amir Chandji's food and comfort. After he
      had left, the Master recollected, "This advocate first met me in 1924
      and gave me five rupees. That was just after I had come to Rishikesh.
      Living on alms--on dry roti and dhal--was all new to me. As soon as I
      got the money, I ran to a shop and ate sweetmeats to my heart's
      content!"

      * One Purascharana is equal to the number of syllables in a mantra
      multiplied by 100,000. For Gayatri Mantra that would be 2,400,000 times.