    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2001

      Today (January 14) is the holy Makara Shankranti. This day is called
      Pongal among Tamilians. This is the day on which the Sun begins to move
      northwards. There are a couple of articles on our website about this
      festival. They are:

      "Makara Shankranti" by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj at:

      "Sun - The Eye of the World" by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj at:

      We have uploaded a booklet titled "Ideal of Married Life". This booklet
      consists of guidelines by Gurudev and Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj for
      a happy household and family life. This booklet can be downloaded from:

      Sri Swami Ramaswarupanandaji is going to be in Hong Kong on February
      7th. Please contact Sri Madhur Bhojwani <madhur@...> for
      program details.

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      YOGA STEP BY STEP: Sri Satya Sadan, a young Yoga enthusiast, wished to
      know the direct road to liberation. The Master explained it to him, "The
      direct path is Jnana Yoga. Practise it. Read the scriptures. Realise
      that you are the Self. You will have to sit quietly and meditate. Go on
      meditating on the true import of the Mahavakya till you actually realise
      the Truth."

      "True, Swamiji, I have heard that said before. I have read it in the
      scriptures, too. But I wish to actually realise Brahman. Otherwise how
      am I to understand that what the Upanishads declare is the truth? I want
      to guard myself against falling into the snare of a mere hallucination.
      And this 'Aham Brahmasmi' assertion might also be a hallucination,"
      replied Sri Satya Sadan.

      "That is the trouble. What the great seers and sages have said cannot be
      false. But why does not man realise the Truth easily? The scriptures say
      that there are three kinds of obstructions to the perception of this
      Truth. The first is impurity, the second, oscillation of the mind, and
      the third, the veil of ignorance. Introspect and find out which of these
      you have. If you find that you have impurities like lust, anger and
      greed, you will have to eradicate them through the practice of Karma
      Yoga. If you experience only oscillation of the mind, you will have to
      practise worship to steady it. If you have the veil of ignorance only,
      you will have to do constant contemplation on the import of the
      Mahavakyas, till the Truth flashes within you."

      "Swamiji, I am not interested in all these. I only want direct
      realisation of Brahman."

      "That is like a clerk wanting to become a commissioner! The clerk has to
      work hard, get quick promotions, and pass stage after stage and
      examination after examination. Then only can he aspire to become a
      commissioner. Can a matriculant become an I. C. S. (Indian Civil
      Service) officer immediately? He has to first graduate at the university
      and work hard to get through the I. C. S. examination. Only then can he
      become an I. C. S. officer. Similarly, you have to first acquire Sadhana
      Chatushtaya Sampath."

      "What is that, Swamiji?"

      "You have not even heard of that? It is discrimination between the Real
      and the unreal, dispassion towards the objects of the world, and
      acquiring of divine qualities like endurance, courage, equal vision and
      faith. Lastly, it is a burning desire for liberation. After acquiring
      these qualifications you should approach a Guru and learn the truths
      from him. That is what the Gita says."

      "Yes, Swamiji, I have read this in the Gita."

      "No use merely reading it; you should put into practice what you know.
      You do not wish to develop divine virtues but you want direct
      realisation of Brahman at once!"

      "All this is not good. Ohji, please approach some good Mahatma, live
      with him, serve him and learn. Do not try to become a Swayam Siddha
      Mahatma (self-declared saint)!"

      "May I stay with you, Swamiji?"

      "As you like. But here all the aspirants have a clear grasp of the task
      before them. So they engage themselves in the practice of the Yoga of
      synthesis. They combine work, worship, study and Yoga. If you can also
      fall in line with them, you can stay; or, seek some good Mahatma, serve
      him and learn to meditate."

      "Love and service are two keys to Divine Life. Religion and life are not
      two but one. Lead the Life Divine." - Swami Sivananda