    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2001

      May Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj bless us all this New Year
      with aspiration for God-Realization.

      I had forwarded earlier this morning two letters from Guru Maharaj Sri
      Swami Chidanandaji with regards to the 2nd Global International Divine
      Life Society Conference that is to take place from December 30th 2001 to
      January 2nd 2002 at Orissa, India. Both these letters have also been
      posted at:

      For this New Year we have uploaded a discourse by Guru Maharaj titled
      "One-Pointed Aspiration For God Alone". This discourse is at:

      Decmber 30th was the 121st birthday anniversary of Sri Ramana Maharshi.
      In celebration of this holy ocassion we uploaded a biography of Sri
      Ramana Maharshi by Gurudev at:

      Several new books were recently released at Sivananda Ashram, Rishikesh.
      The following are the titles of the books that were released:

      1) Swami Sivananda The Modern Sage
      2) Life and Teachings of Lord Jesus by Swami Sivananda
      3) Jnana Yoga by Swami Sivananda
      4) Bhakti and Sankirtan by Swami Sivananda
      5) Dhyana Yoga by Swami Sivananda
      6) The Yoga of Meditation by Swami Krishnananda

      These books can be purchased from our E-bookstore at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      CERTIFICATES!: The enthusiastic Ramachandra Iyer bowed to the Master and
      sat at his feet. He said, "I will now sing the 'Song of Immanence of
      Ram', Swamiji."

      The Master listened to the song. Sri Ramachandra had a sweet, musical
      voice. He always sang the Maha Mantra beautifully, especially in the
      early morning. The entire locality was brought to life by his Maha
      Mantra Kirtan.

      When he finished the song the Master said, "Fair! That is my
      certificate. I have several categories--fair, fairly good, good, very
      good, marvellous. His recitation is fair. But Premanandaji has reached
      the 'marvellous' stage."

      A look at the Master's face dispelled the perplexity of all. His
      criterion for judging the standard in these cases was the heart. Real
      sweetness issued from the heart. However good the voice may be, but if
      the song did not proceed from the heart, the Master awarded it the
      'fair' certificate.

      "This is a world of things. You should ask for that Being who is beyond
      all things--the Thing-in-Itself. If you ask for lesser things, you get
      lesser things. He gives immediately what you aspire for. Whatever you
      ask, that is given. So we have to be careful about what we ask of God
      because He is a wish-yielding tree." - Swami Chidananda