Birthday of Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji Maharaj

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2000
      "Venkatesanandaji is not a small boy. All the Ashram work he is doing. I
      must tell all this, so that other people may be inspired to emulate his
      example. He has not uttered a single word that could displease me. If I
      want to get some work done urgently, the next morning it is ready; he
      would do it sitting up the whole night. He has no ego. He will never
      say: "This is not good." He is pleasing in manners. We should always try
      to please everybody. People generally bring in the story of the donkey,
      the old man and his son, in support of their argument that it is not
      possible to please everybody. This is wrong. I always try to please
      everybody, whatever be the nature of people. When a man comes to me, I
      find out what is good in him and try to please him. Though it may not
      always be possible, you must try to please all to the maximum extent
      open to you." - Swami Sivananda

      Today (Dec. 29th) is the holy occasion of revered and worshipful Sri
      Swami Venkatesanandaji Maharaj's 79th birthday anniversary.

      In celebration of Swamiji's birthday we uploaded a booklet titled "The
      Master Said ...". This booklet contains a speech delivered by Gurudev
      Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj on 26th December 1954, at Sivanandashram,
      Rishikesh, for the celebration of the 34th birthday of Sri Swami
      Venkatesanandaji. This booklet also contains 38 pictures of Sri Swami
      Venkatesanandaji with eminent saints and personages. Please download
      this booklet from:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#mastersaid

      A series of eleven inspiring talks by Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji titled
      "Living at The Feet of Gurudev in The Ashram" has been uploaded to the
      Divine Life Society of Maryland's website at:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/teachings/venkatesananda/liveingfeetguru.htm

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2001
        "Swami Venkatesananda was absolutely dedicated to Gurudev's service. He
        didn't mind working for 12, 16, 18, maybe sometimes 24 hours. I'm not
        joking. There have been days when Swami Venkatesanandaji decided to work
        round the clock for 24 hours. One day he did a marvel. He completed a
        manuscript, put it before Gurudev and then brought it to the press in
        the evening. They worked the whole night, and the next morning they put
        the finished book, bound and everything, before Swamiji. It had been
        completed in 24 hours. Gurudev paid them a visit when this work was
        going on after the night satsang and arati was over and prasad had been
        distributed. He went out of the bhajan hall and said, "I'm going out."
        Because all the lights were on and the press was working, the cat was
        out of the bag. He was simply overjoyed. "Oh, marvellous, wonderful!",
        he said. And then immediately he sent someone out, "Oh, go and run and
        make some hot tea (it was winter), bring it in a big kettle, and give it
        to everyone!" He spent half an hour in that printing room, going all
        over the place like a child suddenly rejoicing in a new toy. He went
        round and round the printing department, the composing department (then
        it was all hand-composing), and the binding department--and the next day
        the book was out. This was a wonderful dedication.

        Even now I have not been able to understand how he was able to serve
        Gurudev, work for him, correspond with devotees, working for 12 to 16
        hours. At the same time he managed to go and serve Swami Achintyananda,
        the homoeopath, and become an expert homoeopath. He also took veena
        lessons and became a very good veena player. And at the same time he was
        a Good Samaritan, at the disposal of devotees who visited Gurudev. How
        did he find time to do all these things and at the same time pursue his
        own studies? There was some genius in him, and this same genius worked
        during these twenty years, when he made the whole of the world his field
        of work, bringing Gurudev's teachings into every country." - Swami
        Chidananda

        Tomorrow (Dec. 29th) is the holy occasion of revered and worshipful Sri
        Swami Venkatesanandaji Maharaj's 80th birthday anniversary.

        In celebration of Swamiji's birthday we uploaded a book by Swamiji
        titled "Sivananda Yoga". In this book Swamiji expounds on the teachings
        of the Gita and draws many examples of how Gurudev puts the teachings of
        the Gita to practice. Please download this book from:
        http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#sivanandayoga

        More information about Swamiji is available at the following sites:
        http://www.dailyreadings.com/
        http://www.dlsmd.org/album/venkatesananda/venkatesa%20main.htm (many
        pictures are available here)