    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2000

      Today (December 25) is the auspicious birthday of Lord Jesus. We have a
      book on our website by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj titled
      "Life and Teachings of Lord Jesus" which contains a number of Christmas
      messages by Gurudev, Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj and Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji Maharaj. This book can be downloaded from:

      A discourse by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj titled "Characteristics
      of the Teachings of Jesus" has been uploaded to Swamiji's site. This
      discourse is from the "World Parliament of Religions Commemoration
      Volume" published in 1956 and is at:

      There is also a special Christmas greeting from Sivananda Santa courtesy
      of Sri Haridasji at:

      A new book by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj was recently released at
      Sivananda Ashram, Rishikesh. The title of the book is "An Analysis of
      the Brahma Sutra". This book can be purchased from our E-bookstore at:

      We have posted a memorial message with regards to Sri Gurudev's disciple
      Sri Swami Shankaranandaji Maharaj who was recently called back by the
      Lord. This message is at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      MOST EFFECTIVE MEDICINE: "Om Namo Narayanaya!" the Master greeted

      Shivadayalji was heavily blanketed. He was wearing a woollen cap too.

      "You are not feeling well?"

      "No, Swamiji, I am not feeling well for the past two days. Today I have
      a headache and pain in the body."

      Interrupting him, the Master said to Dr Kamala Korke, "Doctorji, this
      man's heart has come between his lungs! What to do for him? Kindly
      prescribe something to cure him."

      Turning to Sri Shivadayalji, the Master advised, "If you are sick you
      should approach a doctor."

      Everyone had a hearty laugh.

      Sri Shivadayalji was a little nonplussed. The Master relieved him by
      saying, "Beloved Yogiji, throw away that woollen cap first. This is the
      first medicine. Then the blanket also must go. These things only produce

      Shivadayalji immediately obeyed as he was himself a good aspirant and a
      fairly advanced student of Raja Yoga.

      He understood at once that the Master had gone to the root of the
      problem, and in his own humorous way had pointed out that illnesses are
      rooted in the mind. When the mind is sickly the body follows suit; and
      the only way to get rid of the illness is to think and feel healthy

      "The incarnation of Christ have its mission in revealing to the world
      the greatness of God, the glory of Truth, the worthlessness of things
      mundane which are estranged from God who is Truth, the necessity of
      surrender, and the importance of renunciation and fortitude." - Swami