    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2000

      One of Gurudev's direct disciple, Swami Shankaranandaji Maharaj, who is
      the founder of Sri Adi Sankara Ashrama of Lenasia, South Africa, left
      his body on December 3rd at 9:00pm. Let us pray to Almighty Lord and Sri
      Gurudev to grant the departed soul Supreme Peace and Beatitude.

      We have uploaded the biography of Lord Parsvanatha and Lord Mahavira,
      the Prophets of the Jain religion, by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      Maharaj at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      YOGA FOR WESTERNERS: The Master called out to Sri Menon, "Om Namo
      Narayanaya, Balan Swamiji! I am just telling Sri Sastriji that I love to
      do intense work, intense service. A little bit of seclusion, meditation
      and Sadhana are also necessary. Look at Lord Jesus. He did Sadhana in
      seclusion for thirteen years, then came out and worked intensely for a
      few years. That was enough to thrill the entire world. In seclusion you
      gain inner spiritual strength to revolutionise the entire world. You
      then do the work of a lifetime within a couple of years.

      "That is the sort of work that I want you to do in Europe. You should go
      there and thrill the entire West in a couple of years. It should be a
      lightning trip to the West. Dr. Atreya has written recently that Europe
      is even more ready for the message of Vedanta than India, America and
      England. Europeans are more eager to receive this message and assimilate
      it. Will you do it?"

      "Swamiji, with your blessings and inspiration anything can be done."

      "The most important thing is to now tell the Europeans to lead the
      divine life. Nowadays most of them run after occult powers. That is
      really not Yoga. They imagine that only one who is able to perform
      miracles is a Yogi. When acquired, these powers turn one's head and
      magnify one's egoism, thus taking one away from God.

      "And when you exhort them to lead the divine life, the idea should not
      be to ask them to run away from their avocations into Himalayan jungles,
      to sit there and pray to God. You should tell them in plain language
      that God is ever within them, and that if they do not find Him within,
      they are not likely to find Him anywhere else.

      "But you should be very careful, careful lest you get absorbed in the
      West. That is what happens in many cases. The Indians try to imitate
      Westerners, and Western culture eventually swallows them. Yesterday I
      received a letter from an American lady who says she was born to a Yogi
      from India."

      "But, Swamiji, so long as you are here to inspire us from within, I have
      no fear."

      The Master then said, "That is why I always insist that those who do
      social work should once in a while run away to places like Rishikesh.
      Work and seclusion should go hand in hand. You should not establish
      yourself in Europe. Do intense work for a couple of years, then fly back
      to India for seclusion and Sadhana. Then again you can return."

      "'Do as you would be done by'--this is the gist of ethics." - Swami