    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2000
      Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!

      December 7th is holy Gita Jayanti (Advent of the Bhagavad Gita). There
      are several articles on our websites about Gita Jayanti. They are:

      1) Gita Jayanti by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/gita_siva.htm

      2) The Yoga of the Bhagavad Gita by Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj (a
      new upload) at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/gita_chida.htm

      3) The Gospel of the Bhagavad Gita by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj
      at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_18.html

      The Sivananda Ashram at Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India has launched a
      wonderful website. This website has among others the following items:
      1) Reports on the latest developments at the Ashram.
      2) Multimedia section with a number of songs and lectures.
      3) Photo gallery with photos of Gurudev.

      Devotees can also sign up to the Divyajivan mailing list at the bottom
      of the page. The mailing list will help keep devotees informed of the
      latest developments at the Ashram as well as facilitate communication
      with Sri Swami Adhyatmanandaji.

      The URL of the Sivananda Ashram, Ahmedabad is:
      http://www.divyajivan.org/

      CLAIMING DIVINE ANCESTRY: Sri Shankara Narayana Iyer of Nagpur came in
      and prostrated to the Master.

      "Om Namo Narayanaya! What has happened now? You want to leave today?"

      "I am leaving tomorrow, Swamiji."

      "When you go back you must make a firm resolve to spread the message of
      divine life. You must become a dynamic worker in the divine field."

      "With your holy blessings I will, Swamiji."

      Turning to those present, the Master said, "He belongs to the family of
      Appayya Dikshitar. It is not a joke to belong to the line of this great
      saint."

      To Sri Shankara Narayana the Master said, "You must show by your own
      actions that you are worthy of this descent. There is no use merely
      claiming ancestry of a spiritual hero; you must deserve it."

      "Yes, Swamiji, I shall try my best."

      "Study Sanskrit, then study the Gita, Upanishads and Appayya Dikshitar's
      works also. Now start spreading his message. Be humble and simple. Some
      people go on tom-toming their ancestry to earn their livelihood. When
      people see you they should at once recognise Appayya Dikshitar's blood
      running through your veins. You should possess such an exemplary
      character. Nothing is impossible. If you try then God's Grace also will
      come and you will shine as a true descendant of Appayya."

      "Gita not only gives us in a nutshell a brilliant exposition of the
      philosophy of the Upanishads, but Gita also gives us in a very helpful,
      very practical and very decisive manner, valuable hints for the actual
      Sadhana, the actual practices through which we can make these truths of
      the Upanishads, living experiences of our own life." - Swami Chidananda