    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000

      We have uploaded Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji's book "Lord Shanmukha
      and His Worship". Gurudev graphically portrays in this book the advent
      of Lord Shanmukha or Karthikeya, the purpose of His incarnation and its
      significance, highlighting the various aspects of the Six-faced Lord,
      with their esoteric significance and spiritual import. This book can be
      downloaded from:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#shanmukha

      A comprehensive selection from the Bhagavad Gita titled "The Canons of a
      Perfect Life" by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj has been uploaded to
      Sri Swamiji's site. The verses have been conveniently arranged under
      various subheadings such as 'Bear Pain with Courage', 'Inglorious Life
      Is Worse than Death', 'God Manifests Himself in Every Form of Crisis',
      etc. These selections are at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/canon/ca_1.html

      For this month's discourse we uploaded the gist of the last talk of Dr.
      Devaki Kutty Mataji given on 23rd July, 2000 during Sadhana Week. The
      title of the talk is Gurudev's Trisul (three prong instrument, i.e.
      Serve, Love and Give). This talk is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/dec2000.htm

      FRANKNESS, A GREAT VIRTUE: During the Satsang, Sri A. described the
      magic influence that the Master's pen and personality had brought about
      in his case. He confessed before a large audience that he had tasted
      wine, been a meat eater, and that he had almost succumbed to the wiles
      of a girl. He chanced upon some of the Master's inspiring works, which
      completely turned him to the spiritual path. He had previously taken out
      blood from his own hand and offered it in fire, with a firm resolve to
      give up his evil habits. Even that was not enough to put a stop to the
      deep-rooted evils. He then sat in front of a picture of the Master and
      meditated and prayed mentally for strength to conquer the evil habits.
      The impossible was achieved within those few supreme moments of his
      life. Devotion to the Lotus Feet of the Lord and the Guru was firmly
      implanted in his heart.

      "This frankness is a great virtue. It will take an aspirant much nearer
      God. What most aspirants lack is this sterling quality. Without fear of
      criticism, without feeling shy to confess his defects in public, Sri A.
      has spoken out his past life boldly. Everyone should cultivate this
      divine virtue," the Master said on coming to the office after the
      Satsang.

      "Religious adventure becomes more and more complicated as we proceed
      along with it further and further. In the earlier stages religion seems
      to be very simple, because it appears to be merely a question of going
      to the church or sitting before a deity in a temple or following a
      system of routine, a ritual, etc. But, when we enter into the heart of
      religion, it ceases to be any kind of routine of this kind. It becomes
      an inward adventure of the spirit. It is not a doing of something, but a
      complete reshuffling of one's personality and a transformation of
      oneself through a transvaluation of values, by a process in which we may
      have to submit to conscription the very same forces in the world which
      appear as our opponents at present." - Swami Krishnananda