    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2000

      We have uploaded a booklet containing five inspirational lectures by
      Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji. These lectures were delivered
      during a year-ending retreat at Maryland, USA, in 1985. This booklet can
      be downloaded from:
      http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/download/download.htm#fivetalks

      The latest newsletter (Oct-Dec, 2000) of the DLS of Maryland, 'Heart of
      Sivananda', has been uploaded to:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/newsletters/newslett.htm

      In this issue we are taken back in time to celebrate Christmas with Guru
      Maharaj in 1985 in Urbana, Maryland (the lectures in the above booklet
      were delivered just after Christmas).
      This newsletter also has articles by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      Maharaj and Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj on Lord Jesus.

      The devotees' directory has been disabled indefinitely due to abuse by
      some commercial groups. If you have been receiving unsolicited e-mails
      you can refer to the following page for tips on how to lodge a
      complaint.
      http://coverage.cnet.com/Content/Features/Howto/Stop/ss01f.html

      SPIRITUAL VANITY: With his characteristic candour the Master listened
      this morning when Sastriji narrated his experiences with other
      Sannyasins. About one Sannyasin he said, "Swamiji, this Sadhu never
      speaks a word. He has taken the vow of unbroken silence. Not only this,
      he does not come out of his room at all."

      The Master gave a hearty laugh.

      "Then how to see him?"

      "People who wish to have his Darshan gather one by one on the verandah
      of his cottage. When he is informed that thirty or forty people have
      thus collected, he comes to the window of his room on the side of the
      verandah. Gracefully he holds the blind aside a little so as to provide
      the visitors just a glimpse of his face. He stands in this pose for just
      a couple of minutes. Then he again gracefully nods his head and drops
      the blind."

      "That is all? And a large number of people go there only for that much,
      taking all the trouble?"

      "Yes, Swamiji, and this Sadhu has been living like this for a
      considerable time now and his own disciples have naturally woven many
      stories around his seclusion and silence and have deified him. So the
      credulous public feel that his Darshan is enough to confer liberation on
      them!"

      "This is one type of spiritual trade," said the Master. "What is lost if
      he comes out, talks to people and consoles and inspires them? In a short
      time he develops his egoism to a great degree. He cannot respect others,
      he cannot bow his head before others. He feels that he is a great man.
      Arrogance, self-conceit, hypocrisy and egoism of the worst sort-all
      these creep into him one by one. He forgets his goal and loses himself
      in this mad business of acquiring name and fame. I think I can never do
      this sort of thing."

      "Never, Swamiji. It is just alien to your nature," said Sastriji.

      "What is spiritual life? It is the commencing of the return journey home
      to our eternal abode. What is spiritual life? It is the transformation
      of our life into a Godward movement. What is Yoga and spiritual
      practice? It is the recognition of our eternal inseparable relationship
      with the Supreme Divine Reality which is the source and sustainer of
      countless billions of universes that come and go in it like waves and
      bubbles and ripples which rise and vanish again into the vastness of the
      ocean." - Swami Chidananda