    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2000

      October 26th is the auspicious Deepavali (festival of lights)
      celebration. There are several articles on our websites about this
      festival. They are:

      1) Deepavali by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/deepavali.htm

      2) Yajna--Quintessence of the Culture of India by Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji Maharaj at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_16.html

      Sri Anilji has created a nice PDF file of the above articles with
      graphics. Please visit the following page to download the file (i.e.
      Deepavali Messages):
      http://www.dlsmd.com/teachings/teachingsmain.htm

      We have uploaded three more articles by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      Maharaj on the Hindu scriptures. They are:

      1) The Darsanas--The schools of philosophies based on the Vedas:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/darsanas.htm

      2) Brahma Sutras--Treats of the Vedanta philosophy:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/brahmasutras.htm

      3) The Secular Writings--A brief description of the various secular
      Sanskrit literatures:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/secularwritings.htm

      Two new books by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji were recently released at
      Sivananda Ashram, Rishikesh. They are:

      1) Karma and Diseases -- This book goes into detail about which actions
      produce which diseases as a result.

      2) How to Get Sound Sleep -- This book will not only help cure
      sleeplessness, but will awaken man from the slumber of ignorance.

      These books can be purchased from our E-bookstore at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books.htm

      JUVENILE ENTHUSIASM: Sri P. K. Subramanian wants to give up his studies
      and join the Ashram.

      "Swamiji, of late I am not able to study my class books, because as soon
      as I take them up, I feel that they are not worth studying, since they
      do not contain the elements that would satisfy my hungering soul."

      "Beloved child, it is too early for you to renounce the world. Besides,
      you have your parents. You should serve them well. Earn your livelihood
      by honest means. Work hard and at the same time adopt the feeling that
      you are an instrument in the hands of the Lord. Cultivate this feeling.
      Continue with your studies also. No doubt the knowledge of this
      phenomenal world will not confer liberation upon you. Yet it has its own
      uses. Nothing is bad in itself; it is the use to which a particular
      branch of knowledge is put that matters.

      "Try also to carry on your personal Sadhana side by side. Practise my
      "Twenty Spiritual Instructions" to the best of your ability. Maintain a
      spiritual diary and send me a copy every month. I will guide you. Always
      keep the goal in view. When the time comes, God Himself will facilitate
      your renunciation. Om Namo Narayanaya!"

      When the young man had left the place after prostrating with tearful
      eyes, the Master added, "So many young men are eager to renounce the
      world."

      "Yes, Swamiji," said a visitor, "your writings are so inspiring that
      those who read them get such a burning desire to pursue the path of
      renunciation that they have no further taste for worldly pursuits or
      studies."

      "That may be, but I do not encourage any kind of juvenile enthusiasm.
      Often this 'desire to renounce' is a bubble that bursts after some time
      and vanishes into an airy nothing! Advaitanandaji used to tell me the
      very interesting story of his own brother.

      "This young man suddenly felt himself drawn to the path of renunciation.
      He neglected his studies. He used to shut himself in a room, always
      repeating that the world was false, and other Vedantic ideas. He thought
      that he had full dispassion. His family people succeeded in due course
      in tempting him from this assumed saintliness. They did this through a
      woman. The man changed his mind, married and is now the father of many
      children."

      "The sun does not shine there, nor do the moon and the stars, nor do
      lightnings shine and much less fire. All the lights of the world cannot
      be compared even to a ray of the inner light of the Self. Merge yourself
      in this light of lights and enjoy the supreme Deepavali." - Swami
      Sivananda