Birthday of Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23 4:00 PM
      Swami Chidanandaji's Golden Jubilee Message given on September 24, 1966

      Forget Not The Goal Lead The Divine Life

      BELOVED IMMORTAL ATMAN!

      Glory be to the Divine. Salutations and prostrations at the sacred feet
      of Sadgurudev Sivanandaji Maharaj, the holy dust of whose feet is verily
      fit to be worshipped by all those who have found the spiritual guidance,
      sustenance and blessedness by worshiping them. The feet of the Sadguru
      serve as a sure boat to take the faithful across the ocean of Samsara
      (worldly existence) to the other shore of freedom, bliss and peace.
      Worship and adorations to those feet that constitute the supreme source
      of highest happiness. Let me dwell in contemplation daily upon the lotus
      feet of the Guru, the greatest wealth and the most precious treasure in
      all the Universe.

      On this occasion when a number of my spiritual brethren have decided to
      observe and celebrate Birthday Anniversary I take the opportunity to
      remind you all that you are verily birthless and deathless. Thou art
      immortal Atman, O beloved friend! Beginningless and endless, changeless
      and eternal, thou art Existence-Knowledge-Bliss Absolute in the
      essential nature! The Self is unborn, eternal, permanent and ageless and
      dwells radiantly as the imperishable reality within this perishable
      body. Thus declares the blessed Lord in the great Universal scripture,
      the Bhagwad Gita. This grand truth of thy real nature should be
      remembered this day. Where comes birthday for the birthless one? Birth
      is of this body and if its birthday is celebrated verily, then how can
      it be my birthday? Am I the physical body? I am not this body. I am not
      this mind. Immortal Self am I. Thus teacheth Gurudev Sivananda.

      I am Chidananda. Verily I am Consciousness Bliss. Chidananda-roopham!
      Even so art thou, blessed reader, Thou art Chidananda! Thou art
      Satchidananda! Thou art Eternal, Pure, Perfect, Knowledge-Bliss
      absolute. Remember, reflect contemplate, meditate, realise! This is thy
      important duty. Aspire, affirm, assert attain. Thus is indeed the best
      and the grandest celebration.

      They have requested for a message on this Birthday. Well, the message
      has just been given above. However, I shall add this more. Divine
      experience is attainable here only through Divine Life. Without Divine
      Life no Divine experience is possible. Divine Life is the foundation and
      the basis of all spiritual attainment and God-realisation. Divine Life
      means a life of truth, purity, chastity, and kindness. It implies
      simplicity, humble nature, selflessness and motiveless service unto all
      with Universal Love. Divine Life is friendliness towards all being,
      devout worship of Lord, constant remembrance of the Divine reality.

      It means a life of Dharma and Sadachara, namely goodness, holiness and
      Godliness by which you attain God-realisation and supreme spiritual
      freedom or Kaivalya Moksha. Just as a tree cannot stand without ground
      to stand on and fish cannot swim without water to swim in and man cannot
      walk without way to walk on even so spiritual life is impossible without
      a substratum upon which to live it. This indispensable substratum or
      basis of all spiritual Sadhana, Yogabhyasa and Divine unfoldment is
      precisely ethical or moral life. This basis is character, good conduct,
      noble behaviour and virtuous life. Practise this and develop this first.
      God is very near to those who do it. It is not the number of
      Pradakshinas round the temple that you do or the number of Malas that
      you turn or even the coconuts that you break, that are ultimately
      pleasing the Lord but it is your pure thoughts, sublime sentiments and
      noble good deeds that bring you closer to Him. In him lies all
      happiness.

      Therefore, my beloved friend if you wish to attain supreme happiness and
      Divine bliss then lead a virtuous life and worship God regularly. Do not
      apply reason and logic. Do not question and argue. To be good and do
      good is your greatest duty. To worship God is the noblest function. This
      is a realm where Logic has no entry and reason is ineffective. Faith is
      the thing needful. Regard thyself as a servant of all. Give up pride,
      vanity, arrogance and egoism. Be not haughty and intolerant. Be simple.
      Be sweet. Be natural. Give up anger, hatred, empty pomposity and
      superiority. Speak truth. Forgive and forget. Be honest. Develop sense
      of duty. Live to bring happiness unto others. Renounce selfishness. Know
      that God indwells all beings. This is the teaching of all scriptures and
      of all saints and sages and wise people.

      Be up and doing on this path. There is no time to lose. Do not waste
      your days and weeks. Time is precious. Years will roll away in a flash.
      Remember death. Earnestly try for perfection. Remember the pains of
      Samsara. Do not be deceived and duped by the worthless objects of this
      world. Remember God in Whom lie highest peace and supreme bliss.
      Remember the saints daily. They have shown you the way to cross beyond
      sorrow and pain and triumph over death and attain immortality.
      Constantly remember the Eternal Divine Reality. Grow in virtue.
      Cultivate noble good qualities. Do all your work worshipfully. Offer up
      every action to God. Spiritualise your entire life. So says Sivananda
      Gurudev. Thus reminds Chidananda. Hear this message. Take a glorious new
      birth in the Spirit.

      Lead the Divine Life. Fill yourself with radiant Divine Consciousness.
      Rejoice as an illuminated being. May Grace be in abundance showered upon
      thee. May your days be filled with joy, joy and more Joy. Rejoice for
      thy name is Bliss, O Ananda! Virtue, goodness and love lead to joy,
      peace, and illumination. Jai Gurudev Sivananda! Glory to the Divine Life
      in Atman!! May peace be unto all. May all beings in this Universe be
      filled with happiness!!! Om.

      At the feet of Gurudev,
      Swami Chidananda
      September 24, 1966

      September 24th is the 84th birthday anniversary of blessed and
      worshipful Guru Maharaj, Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj. In celebration
      of this holy ocassion we uploaded a book by Guru Maharaj titled "Advices
      on Spiritual Living". This book contains the first 60 Sivanandashram
      letters by Guru Maharaj spanning from October 1963 to January 1969. This
      book is indeed a great treasure for all devotees as one can feel Guru
      Maharaj's presence while reading the letters. Guru Maharaj himself
      writes:

      "In this letter I come into your home. I sit by your side and I speak to
      you in person of tasks to be done, of things to be remembered, of the
      importance of living life spiritually and of great blessedness of human
      birth. I speak of the path to peace and the way to bliss and above all
      of the pervading presence of God and His ever-nearness to you. Beloved
      Self, in God and God alone can you ultimately find true happiness and
      real fulfilment. Apart from Him, life is a meaningless burden to those
      ignorant of the glorious spiritual goal. God is the greatest value,
      Grand Glorious REAL. All this I say to you and the Sivanandashram Letter
      brings you my words, as prompted by Sri Gurudev, whose servant I am. It
      is an expression of my love, symbol of my Seva, fulfilment of spiritual
      duty and means of offering homage to God. Great indeed is my good
      fortune to communicate with you through this letter, month by month,
      during this present year that is now drawing to its close. Through my
      monthly letter to you I have endeavoured to talk to you and express
      myself and share my thoughts on matters pertaining to your life, to our
      culture, to Sanatana Dharma and to Sri Gurudev's great spiritual message
      and precious spiritual teachings. This to me is sacred service to Sri
      Gurudev and is also to me a means of keeping personal contact with you
      and thus coming closer to you as a member of Divine Life fraternity,
      brought into being by our holy Gurudev Sri Sivanandaji Maharaj. It is a
      joy to me therefore to keep in touch with you, through this
      Sivanandashram Letter in this way."

      This book is similar to an autobiography over five years as Guru Maharaj
      describes his travels and experiences at the various places that he has
      visited. Read about Guru Maharaj's meeting with Gandhiji when Guru
      Maharaj was 29 years old; travels to Malaysia, South Africa and various
      other places; learn about the various Hindu festivals as well as
      Christmas and New Year celebrations at Holy Ashram and much, much more.
      This book can be downloaded from:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#spiritualadvice

      Liliana Mataji of Argentina is starting a weekly e-mail reading in
      Spanish today. The e-mail readings will be drawn from Guru Maharaj's
      books. Today's e-mail is attached below. Devotees who would liked to
      join the e-mail list can signup at:
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/chidananda

      Om Nama Sivaya
      Om Namo Bhagavate Sivanandaya
      Om Namo Bhagavate Chidanandaya

      Pranams para Uds.

      Este 24 de septiembre es muy especial ya que al Ekadasi se suma el
      cumpleaños de Swami Chidananda. Traten de reservar un momento para la
      meditación, reciten 108 veces Mahamrityujaya mantra. Pidan por la salud
      de Mahaguru. En esta fecha los Santos y todos los discípulos de Gurudev
      Sivananda y Mahaguru Chidananda estarán unidos en su Sadhana generando
      una gran y amorosa vibración.

      OM
      GURUR BRAHMA GURUR VISNU GURUR DEVO MAHESHVARAH
      GURUH SAKSHAT PARAM BRAHM TASMAI SRI GURVE NAMAH
      Sri Maha - Mrityunjaya Mantra
      om tryambakam yajamahe sugandhim pustivardhanam
      urvarukamiva bandhanan mrtyor muksiya mamrtat.

      Me inclino ante ese Señor Siva de los tres ojos, el cual esta lleno de
      dulce fragancia, quien alimenta a los seres humanos. Pueda El liberarme
      de las ataduras de Samsara y de la muerte, así como un pepino is
      separado de la enredadera. Pueda yo ser fijado en la Inmortalidad! Este
      es el Maha-Mrityunjaya Mantrra.

      Om Hari Om Tat Sat
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24 5:57 AM

        Today (Sept. 24) is the 85th birthday anniversary of beloved and
        worshipful Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji. In celebration of Guru
        Maharaj's birthday we have uploaded a short autobiographical sketch by
        Guru Maharaj titled "Beloved Papa And Sri Gurudev In My Life". This
        article was reprinted from Anandashram's monthly magazine, The Vision.
        There are a lot of details here from Guru Maharaj's early days. This
        inspiring article is at:
        http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/saints/chidapapa.htm

        Attached below is Sri Swami Chinmayanandaji Maharaj's opinion of Guru
        Maharaj.

        Swami Chinmayananda, the illustrious saint-scholar, was giving a series
        of discourses on Gita during his Gita Jnana Yajna at Lucknow in 1977. In
        course of his talk he dealt with the characteristics of a Sthita Prajna,
        the ideal Godman of the holy scripture. At the end of the talk Prof.
        Varma who was, indeed, very much impressed, sought an interview with
        Chinmayanandaji and put the straight question--Is the ideal Godman of
        Gita a mere scriptural representation or a living reality? Is there
        anybody in India today who may fittingly be called a Sthita Prajna? The
        erudite monk who is not given to easy praise paused for a moment and
        then replied with all seriousness and solemnity--Yes. There are such
        great ones. One is Mother Anandamayi and the other is Swami Chidananda.
        One should behold them and get sanctified.