    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2000

      The second chapter of the commentary on the Brahma Sutras by Gurudev Sri
      Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj has been uploaded to Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji's website at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/bs_00.html

      For this month's discourse we uploaded an article by Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji Maharaj titled "Religion and Spirituality". In this
      discourse Swami Krishnanandaji expounds on the relationship between
      religion and spirituality. Swamiji also explains the original intent of
      the caste system in this article. This is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/jun2000.htm

      There are a couple of projects being undertaken at Gurudev Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji's hospital at Pattamadai in South India:
      1) A cow-shed is to be built to house the cows which will be supplying
      milk to the poor patients and children.
      2) A guest block is to be constructed and devotees are invited to have a
      single room apartment in the guest block for sadhana, peace and rest.

      Please visit Swami Sivananda Centenary Charitable Hospital page for
      details. This is at:
      http://www.geocities.com/queencapri/

      A POLISHED CHEAT: "What are Rs. 600 before the evolution of a single
      individual soul? I shall not be sorry if the consignee does not pay even
      a pie for the Rs. 600 worth of books we sent him. What will he do with
      the books? They are not eatables. He might sell them at an anna per copy
      at the Moore Market in Madras, or even give them free. In any case they
      will go round. At least one man's eyes will be opened and he will begin
      to do Japa. I will be satisfied. God will give us money when He thinks
      fit. Why should we consider this a loss?"

      The Master made the above observations when the case of a bookseller,
      who had taken out a consignment of his books worth Rs. 600, had not even
      intimated his whereabouts to the Society for years. The person in
      question did not have a shop!

      When the news was broken to him, the Master, in between winks and a
      winsome smile, said, "So you have been deceived by this polished cheat!
      It is a wonder how you entrusted such a large consignment to a
      stranger!"

      "Swamiji, before that he had purchased books worth Rs. 20."

      "Yes, he bought books worth Rs. 20, sent you a nice letter on his big,
      beautiful letterhead, then ordered Rs. 600 worth of books and bolted! He
      is a polished cheat!"

      Everyone laughed and said, "Yes, Swamiji."

      "There was a similar case in Singapore. A man opened a large shop. He
      had a lady typist, a spacious office, etc. He had a roaring business. He
      borrowed some money from the local people. One day he was found missing
      with all the money. He opened a similar shop in Saigon too!"

      Everyone seemed to have reconciled themselves to the view that all of
      them, including the Master, had been deceived. Reading their thoughts
      the Master again said, "We have not incurred any loss!"

      "There is no superior of inferior service in Karma Yoga. There is no
      superiority or inferiority among Karma Yogis. In a machine even the
      smallest bolt or spring is as essential to its smooth running as the
      mighty wheel. So also, in an organised effort, the man who does even the
      least work or attends to an insignificant detail contributes as much to
      the success of the endeavour as the chief organiser himself, for, if
      there is some defect in even a small detail, perfect success cannot be
      achieved." - Swami Sivananda