    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 6:54 AM

      The first chapter of the commentary on the Brahma Sutras by Gurudev Sri
      Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj has been uploaded to Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji's website at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/bs_00.html

      Audio files of Gurudev on Vedanta has been uploaded to the DLS of
      Maryland's website at:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/multimedia/multimedia%20main.htm

      The latest newsletter of the DLS of Maryland, Heart of Sivananda for
      Apr-Jun 2000 has been posted at:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/newsletters/newslett.htm

      The above newsletter contains among others:

      1) A report by Moo Briddell Mataji on the First Global International
      Divine Life Society Conference held from 30th December, 1999 to 2nd
      January, 2000 in Mumbai, India.

      2) Inspiring articles by Gurudev (Guide to Sadhaks), Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji (Sivananda--Living in God's Presence) and Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji (Where is the Soul?).

      3) Information on this years Summer Sadhana Retreat. I have attached
      below a short message from Swami Gurudevananda Mataji about the retreat.

      This years Summer Sadhana Retreat will be held again at the Bishop
      Claggett Center, Buckeystown, Maryland. The dates are Friday, July l4 to
      Wednesday, July 19. Due to the popularity of the HATHA YOGA TEACHER
      TRAINING COURSE we have again included this two-hour daily program to
      accommodate teachers as well as practitioners . The program includes
      learning the essential Hatha Yoga techniques, how to practice and
      communicate them.

      Topics:
      1. "The Place of Hatha Yoga in the Overall Framework of Yoga"
      2. "The Physiological and Psychological Benefits of the Yoga Postures"
      3. "How to use Postures for Meditation to Expand Spiritual Awareness"

      Attending teachers are encouraged to share their expertise so that all
      can benefit from the practice of the postures, breathing exercises and
      relaxation techniques.

      As our study for the Sadhana Retreat we have chosen Gurudev Sivananda's
      Twenty Important Spiritual Instructions. It was Gurudev's special
      mission to create a combination, a blending together and harmonizing of
      the active inner spiritual life with the active outer secular life. In
      his book he gives us a very systematic discipline to accomplish this and
      provides us with the key to blessedness even while living in the world.

      Gurupurnima will be observed on Sunday, July l6. Sri N. V. Karthikeyan
      from the headquarters in India will join us in performing Paduka Puja at
      5:30 p.m. All devotees are invited for this special event.

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,
      Swami Gurudevananda

      Space is limited. Please send the registration form with deposit to
      reserve your space. Cost: $375.00 per person. Deposit: $75.00 due by
      June 30th.

      Further information and registration form is at:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/events/activiti.htm

      DIVINE LIFE SOCIETY OF MARYLAND
      6606 Hardwood Lane
      Keedysville, MD 21756,
      USA.
      Phone/Fax: 1-(301)-432-4918
      E-mail: simado@...

      SAVED BY THE LORD'S GRACE: "It is a miracle how they have all been
      saved. Even a sight of the wreckage is enough to turn one mad. The very
      thought of the accident is quite sufficient to kill the passengers. They
      were saved only through Lord Viswanath's Grace. Instead of meeting with
      the accident in the middle of a jungle, where there would have been
      little chance of being saved, they were all brought to the feet of Lord
      Viswanath, where they could get immediate medical treatment, tea and all
      comfort."

      The Master extolled greatly the Grace and power of Lord Viswanath as the
      victims of a nasty bus accident just adjacent to the Ashram dispensary
      were being treated zealously by the inmates.

      "The erroneous identification of the body with the pure Atman is the
      root cause for human sufferings and miseries and for births and deaths.
      You identify yourself with the body and say, 'I am fair, dark, stout or
      thin. I am a Brahmin, I am a Kshatriya, I am a doctor'. You identify
      yourself with the senses and say, 'I am blind, I am dumb'. You identify
      yourself with the mind and say, 'I know nothing. I know everything. I
      became angry. I enjoyed a good meal. I am suffering from this disease'.
      The entire object of the Brahma Sutras is to remove this erroneous
      identification of the Soul with the body which is the root cause of your
      sufferings and miseries, which is the product of Avidya (ignorance) and
      help you in the attainment of the final emancipation through knowledge
      of Brahman." - Swami Sivananda