    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 3:18 PM

      We have uploaded a book by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj titled
      "The Science of Pranayama". Pranayama (breath-control) is an important
      limb in the Yoga of meditation. I would recommend reading the book from
      cover to cover before attempting the exercises as Gurudev has given many
      practical instructions and answered common questions by aspirants at the
      end of the book. This book can be downloaded from our free books page
      at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm

      We have also uploaded a discourse by Swami Madhavanandaji titled
      "Shankara--The First Guru of Kali Yuga" in celebration of Sri
      Shankaracharya's birthday yesterday (May 8). This discourse is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/shankaraguru.htm

      TO AVOID AN ARGUMENT: Swami Satchidananda, an old Sannyasin who was
      staying in the Ashram, entered the office, bowed to the Master and sat
      on a bench, contemplating the Master's countenance full of peace and
      bliss.

      Sri Gopala Iyer entered and exhibited to the Master several clippings
      from the newspapers, containing his contributions on the results of his
      researches in the sacred epics of the land. Surely a lifetime's labour
      would evoke a great deal of enthusiasm and approbation from the Master.

      Sri Gopala Iyer sat beside Sri Satchidanandaji and, having nothing else
      to do, picked up a conversation with his bench-mate. Polite words,
      courtesy, then arguments, slightly heated debate--and the mercury in the
      'egometer' began rising high!

      Satchidananda was trying in vain to impress on the Pundit that Advaita
      (non-dulaity) was not to be trifled with, that those who went mad if
      milk did not reach them in time for their morning coffee, should not cry
      down the Puranas (sacred lore), the Divinities and saints. This touched
      the Pundit's delicate chords and he burst out, almost calling the Swami
      names, characterising him as 'mere flesh clothed in the orange garb', a
      'waster of life', a 'pseudo-Sannyasin', etc.

      A sudden mellowing and Sri Satchidananda gave a welcome twist to the
      dissension. "Maharaj, my knowledge is very poor. I have not touched the
      fringe of the ocean of knowledge in which you ever swim. I am as yet a
      student, you are advanced. I beg your pardon for arguing with you."

      This silenced the Pundit, who walked out with head held erect!

      The Master smiled at Satchidananda and said, "Very good reply!"

      "By controlling the act of breathing you can efficiently control all the
      various motions in the body and the different nerve-currents that are
      running through the body. You can easily and quickly control and develop
      body, mind and soul through breath-control or the control of Prana. It
      is through Pranayama that you can control your circumstances and
      character and can consciously harmonise the individual life with the
      cosmic life." - Swami Sivananda