    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2000
      Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 08:27:17 -0600
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pannir@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-day (165)

      Sri Anil Lund and Sri Swami Narayanananda Mataji have a treat for all of
      us in the form of darshan of our beloved Sri Swami Krishnanandaji
      Maharaj. Please visit the DLS of Maryland site for the pictures of
      Swamiji Maharaj taken just a couple of weeks ago at the Sivananda Ashram
      in Rishikesh, India. The URL is:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/album/krishnananda/krishnananda%20main.htm
      The new pictures are on page 3.

      A few months ago we had a banner design competition for our website.
      Our winner is Sri Himanshu Bharadwaj who is currently studying at
      Syracuse University, New York. Sri Himanshuji received Guru Maharaj Sri
      Swami Chidanandaji's latest book "Awake! Realise Your Divinity". All the
      submitted banners are at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/banners/banners.htm
      The HTML codes are provided below each banner for linking to the Divine
      Life Society.

      The book list for the Divine Life Society of Germany has been updated.
      Please visit:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/branches/bookgerman.htm

      REFORMATION BEFORE PREACHING: After the night Satsang today, Sri Atmaram
      was asking someone about the whereabouts of a certain Swami, who was
      touring all over India collecting money from devotees for his American
      tour, which was the only ambition in his life.

      The Master, on hearing the conversation, made the following remark,
      "Nowadays this has become a disease in aspirants. They take Sannyas,
      learn something from the Upanishads and Gita, study some pages in
      psychology and science, and fly to America for preaching. That is their
      only ambition in life. They think that they have achieved everything by
      doing so. They are not concerned about developing their inner
      personality, they are not bothered to gain inner spiritual strength,
      they are not interested in reforming themselves in spirit before
      reforming others.

      "The result of this excessive movement in society is that they lose even
      the little aspiration that they possessed at the beginning of their
      spiritual career. Their words become like empty bullets. Mere words will
      not have the capacity of transforming man unless they come from the
      heart, from true experience. Therefore, aspirants should nip this kind
      of ambition in the bud itself, otherwise the path they walk will only
      lead to destruction and nothing else."

      "That which pleases the Supreme Being the most, that which unfailingly
      draws down the grace of the Divine, is hunger and thirst in the human
      heart, a great longing in the human heart for God and God alone to the
      exclusion of all other things." - Swami Chidananda