    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2000
      Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 17:49:06 -0600
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pannir@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-day (164)

      Om Namah Sivaya!

      We have uploaded blessed and worhipful Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji's
      book "Lord Siva and His Worship". This book is a boon and blessing for
      all aspirants especially the devotees of Lord Siva. The book includes
      chapters on Mantras, Saiva Siddhanta philosophy, philosphy of symbols,
      the great devotees of Lord Siva namely the Tamil Acharyas and festivals
      associated with Lord Siva. This book can be downloaded from:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm

      We have uploaded Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji's lecture "Desire
      and Deserve" for this month's discourse. In this discourse Guru Maharaj
      explains how ones desire can be fulfilled. This discourse is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/mar2000.htm

      "The Art of Living" is the title of an inspiring discourse that has been
      uploaded to Sri Swami Krishnanandaji's site. This article can be
      accessed from Sri Swamiji's site at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/

      I apologize for the triple e-mails that everyone received last Tuesday
      (Feb. 29). I sent the original e-mail on Monday evening but when it did
      not get delivered after 12 hours I thought that the e-mail must have got
      lost. I resent it again and the nothing happened for 3 hours. I changed
      to my secondary e-mail server and that got sent without any hitches. But
      the original e-mail did get delivered 24 hours later. I shall wait
      longer the next time I face the same problem.

      We are now on the automated e-mail list. Everyone should have received a
      welcome message from Majordomo@.... If there is any problem
      you can write to pannir@... instead of
      owner-sivananda@.... I had to automate the subscribing and
      unsubscribing due to the time consuming nature of the procedure. I hope
      this will help me to respond to e-mails in a shorter time.

      GOD IN HUMAN FORM: It was about four in the afternoon. A stout young man
      was being carried and brought on a stretcher to the Sivananda General
      Hospital. He was seriously wounded. Blood was oozing from all over his
      face and it was swollen. Two policemen, surrounded by a small crowd,
      were coming along.

      The policemen were enquiring about a doctor. Dr. Prahlad and Dr. Punjabi
      came after a while and attended to the patient. First aid was given. His
      wounds were dressed. He was practically unconscious.

      Then the policeman related the story of the wounded man.

      "His name is D.K. Roy. He is a dacoit. He used to hide on the branches
      of trees on the roadside, waiting for passers-by. Man or woman, young or
      old-anyone who came that way alone-he would jump upon him, frightening
      and threatening him, and eventually robbing him of whatever he
      possessed.

      "This was his regular occupation. It so happened that yesterday he did
      the same thing to a middle-aged villager who was passing that way. The
      villager somehow escaped and returned with three more persons to attack
      him. But this fellow, hiding among the branches, threw stones at the men
      and they fled. They reported the matter to the police. Then both the
      villagers and some policemen joined together and tried to round him up.
      But he somehow managed to escape and started fleeing, with the villagers
      and the police in pursuit.

      "He couldn't escape, and while running, unfortunately fell into a
      wayside pit about twenty feet deep. He broke six teeth and suffered
      severe wounds all over the body.

      "The villagers got down the pit, took him out and brought him here. By
      the time we reached the hospital here, he became unconscious."

      The policeman finished his story and the crowd of curiosity-mongers
      dispersed and went their way. Soon the news spread all over the place
      and Dilip Kumar Roy became the showroom exhibit. Each one came and saw
      him. Some took pity on him, others admonished him and said that he
      deserved the punishment, and made all sorts of remarks about the
      wounded, unconscious man.

      It was eight o'clock The Master emerged from his cottage and was
      proceeding to the Satsang Hall. The news of the dacoit was given to him.
      He calmly heard and proceeded. On the way he entered the hospital ward
      where the injured man was lying. He came near him and stood for a while.
      All gathered there were anxious to see the Master's reactions and hear
      his words.

      The Master stood calmly for a few minutes and then said, "Let us now
      chant the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra for the health and speedy recovery of
      Dilip Kumar Roy."

      So saying, he commenced chanting.

      After the chanting was over, the Master called someone to bring a tin of
      biscuits from his cottage. This was brought and the Master kept it near
      him.

      "Lord Narayana has come in this form. Please give him the biscuits in
      the morning with tea or milk"

      So saying the Master calmly proceeded to the Satsang Hall.

      "Lord Siva is the God of Love. His Grace is boundless. He is the Saviour
      and Guru. He is the Beloved of Uma. He is Satyam, Sivam, Subham,
      Sundaram, Kantam (Truth, Auspiciousness, Good, Beautiful, Resplendent).
      He is the Supreme Light that shines in your heart. Meditate on His Form.
      Hear His Lilas. Repeat His Mantra 'Om Namah Sivaya'. Study Siva Purana.
      Do His worship daily. Behold Him in all names and forms. He will bless
      you with His Vision." - Swami Sivananda