    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2000
      Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:35:13 -0600
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pannir@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-day (163)

      We have posted some pictures of the Sannyas initiation ceremony
      conducted by Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji at Sivanand Ashram in
      Rishikesh on 14 November, 1999. The pictures are at:

      We have uploaded an article by Sri Swami Sadanandaji titled "Duty and
      Cosmic Will". In this article Swami Sadanandaji explains how to be in
      tune with God's Will. This article is at:

      "Philosophy of Life" has been uploaded to Sri Swami Krishnanandaji's
      site. This book is a critical exposition of the fundamental principles
      in Eastern and Western philosophy in the light of the doctrines of Swami
      Sivananda. This book is under Books on Metaphysical Philosophy section.
      Swami Krishnanandaji's site is at:

      Over the next few days I will be automating the subscription procedure
      to our e-mail list. Devotees will receive an e-mail from
      Majordomo@... once the service has been set up.

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      SERVICE TO PARENTS: An old man with a young boy came and prostrated
      before the Master.

      "Is this your father?" the Master enquired of the boy.

      "Yes, Swamiji."

      "Serve your father well. Father is the visible God on earth. Obey him
      and worship him," he advised the boy.

      The old man was very much pleased with the advice given to his son.

      "Jnana Yoga is the path of knowledge. Moksha is attained through
      Knowledge of Brahman. Release from Samsara is achieved through
      realisation of the identity of the individual soul with the Supreme Soul
      or Brahman. The cause for bondage and suffering is Avidya or ignorance.
      The little Jiva foolishly imagines on account of ignorance that he is
      separate from Brahman. Avidya acts as a veil or screen and prevents the
      Jiva from knowing his real, divine nature. Knowledge of Brahman or
      Brahma-Jnana removes this veil and makes the Jiva rest in his own
      Sat-Chit-Ananda Svaroopa." - Swami Sivananda

      please send a message to pannir@...