    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 5:39 AM
      Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:01:39 -0600
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pannir@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-day (153)

      We have uploaded a book by Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji. The
      title of the book is "Lectures on Raja Yoga". This book consists of
      lectures on the Yoga of meditation given in very simple language
      avoiding technical terms as far as possible. They are easy to understand
      as they were originally addressed to a group of persons who were
      strangers to Indian philosophical thoughts and the subject of
      Yoga-Darshana. This book can be downloaded from our free books page at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm

      We have also uploaded the biographies of Sri Swami Madhavanandaji
      Maharaj (Vice-President of The Divine Life Society) and Sri Swami
      Dayanandaji Maharaj (Treasurer of The Divine Life Society). The
      biographies are at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/saints/madhavananda.htm
      and
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/saints/dayananda.htm

      The dates for spiritual fasts and festivals for the first three months
      of the year 2000 have been added to our spiritual calendar. The calendar
      is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/calendar.htm

      THE MIND EXPLAINED: "Krishna, today you prepared the dishes very well.
      Oh! What wonderful curd preparation you provided! Krishna, how do I know
      the taste of this curd preparation? Can you tell me?"

      "Through your tongue, Swamiji."

      "No, listen to what happens. See, first I take a little and put it on
      the tip of my tongue. The tongue conveys this news to the mind. The mind
      is the lawyer; it takes the information to the intellect. The intellect
      is the judge. Behind the intellect there is the supreme court judge--the
      Lord--who is existence, bliss and knowledge. He gives the power to the
      intellect, the mind and the tongue to decide the taste of anything.

      "Therefore, the Lord gives to the tongue the power of tasting, to the
      mind the power of thinking, and to the intellect the power of
      determining. Have you heard this before? Have you understood now?"

      "Swamiji, this is the first time I have understood it in this manner."

      "The source for all good and happiness, the basis for all virtue and
      prosperity, is the religion of love. This is thy final centre of repose
      and undying peace. Kindle this light in thy heart, for this is the
      immediate way to the Kingdom of God." - Swami Sivananda