    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2000
      Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 03:25:55 -0600
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pannir@...>
      Newsgroups: alt.meditation, alt.religion.hindu, alt.yoga
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-day (152)

      We have uploaded a book by blessed and worshipful Gurudev Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji Maharaj. The title of the book is "What Becomes of the Soul
      After Death". Here is a book which will answer many questions about life
      beyond death. It has among others instructions on how to ensure the
      peace of the soul of our dear ones who have passed on. It also has many
      stories of people who were able to recollect memories of their past
      lives (including the famous story of Shanti Devi). The table of contents
      page of this book will reveal the depth of this book. A very absorbing
      book indeed. This book can be downloaded from our free books page at:

      The following have been uploaded to Sri Swami Krishnanandaji's site:
      1) The Concept of God in Hinduism
      2) Hymn to the Mighty God
      3) Part IV of Essays in Life and Eternity

      All the above pages are linked from Sri Swamiji's homepage at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      THE MASTER'S TEST!: A Sadhu came and stood before the Master with a
      kamandalu (water-pot) in his hand. He went on repeating, "Sivoham,

      Whenever he repeated "Sivoham" (I am Shiva), the Master said, "Dasoham'
      (I am the servant).

      The Sadhu continued his repetition.

      The Master called to Satyagyanam and ordered him, "Ohji, take away the
      water-pot from that Sadhu!"

      Satyagyanam approached him but the Sadhu at once said, holding the
      water-pot with a firm grasp, "Maharaj, this water-pot is my life. I
      cannot part with it!"

      "See! The true colour of 'Sivoham' has now come out! Ohji, don't say
      'Sivoham', say 'kamandaluham'!" the Master smilingly said.

      All burst into laughter!

      "What is life: Some say life is a struggle. Some say life is worship.
      Others think life is a vale of tears. But what exactly is the basic
      definition of life? Life is nothing but Time. It is an existence between
      two terminals - coming into birth and shedding of the body. In whatever
      way this period is spent, this period is exhausted. This process of
      exhausting a period is life. What does it actually consist of? Time
      wasted or utilised? What is time made up? Time is made up of seconds,
      hours, days, months and years. Life is an aggregate of moments.
      ThereĀ­fore, it is a most important treasure that man has got in his
      posĀ­session. It is greater than a diamond. Without this, all the
      teasures of these worlds are nothing. Therefore, the most precious thing
      we have got is time. The proper utilisation of time is the best purpose
      of life." - Swami Chidananda

      please send a message to pannir@...