    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2000
      Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:18:57 -0600 (CST)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <dlshq@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <dlshq@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-day (147)

      I am glad to inform all devotees that our Guru Maharaj, Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj, has been selected as 'Hindu of the Year for 1999' by
      Hinduism Today magazine. Hinduism Today said, "It is for his purity and
      unflagging efforts to spread far and wide the deepest wisdom of Sanatana
      Dharma that Swami Chidanandaji is proudly declared Hindu of the Year
      1999." This announcement was made in the December 1999 issue of Hinduism
      Today. In this issue there is a short article about Guru Maharaj followed
      by a message by Guru Maharaj on how to rise above the senses. This issue
      also has a two page interview with Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj on many
      issues such as the life of Swami Sivanandaji, corporal punishment of
      children, India today, etc. If you do not subscribe to Hinduism Today but
      would like to get a copy of this issue, you may want to contact Hinduism
      Today. Their website is at:
      http://www.hinduismtoday.kauai.hi.us/htoday.html

      We have uploaded a book by Guru Maharaj titled "A Guide To Noble Living".
      This small book of the Life Spiritual answers questions such as to what
      the real purpose of life is, what the meaning of true Yoga is, what the
      spirit of true renunciation is, and how to start with virtue, pass
      through holiness and culminate in Godliness. This book can be downloaded
      from our free books page at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm

      I have attached below a Diwali message from Swami Ramaswarupanandaji.
      There is more information about Diwali at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/deepavali.htm
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/yajna.htm

      HAPPY NEW YEAR Holy Diwali

      What is the significance of a NEW YEAR for a spiritual aspirant?

      Are we real spiritual SADHAKS ?

      A NEW YEAR for a real spiritual aspirant means one step further in the
      journey towards experience of the supreme Reality.

      A real spiritual Sadhak means one who is trying to realise his essential
      nature as Supreme Reality, through devotion, dispassion, discrimination
      and regular meditation combined with Guru Seva.

      A NEW YEAR means a look backward but learning to go forward.

      Has anybody seen a New Year? Either every day is a New Year or there
      is no New Year. EVERY SUN RISE IS A NEW SUN RISE.

      Time is running out. Be up and doing.

      This is A CALL TO LIBERATION *
      Let us PONDER THESE TRUTHS *
      Let us have a NEW BEGINNING *

      Swami Ramaswarupananda
      ( Swami Ramaswarupananda )

      * These are three books of H.H. Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj.
      Go through them regularly. Your spiritual Life will be greatly benefited.
      Many books available free : http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org

      Pannir's note: Please go to the following site for a greeting card from
      Swami Ramaswarupanandaji:
      http://www1.bluemountain.com/cards/box6993m/syz4gttzymrpwi.htm

      LOVING CORRECTION: When the Master reached the office it was 10 a.m. Sri
      X. appeared with letters for his signature.

      "Ohji, whenever you write letters, write sweetly. Do not give a cut and
      dry reply," the Master advised him.

      "Yes, Swamiji, I will do so."

      "You will do so? How many times have I not told you about this? Still you
      don't try to correct yourself. Very well, take this sweetmeat."

      Sri X. took a piece of the sweetmeat and tasted it.

      "How is it? Very sweet?"

      "Yes, Swamiji, it is very sweet."

      "After all, this sweetmeat is insentient. Yet see how much happiness it
      gives to man. You are a human being with an intellect. How much more
      happiness should you not give to others through your words and actions!"
      the Master mildly reproached him.

      Sri X. felt a little hurt.

      Immediately the Master turned to a visitor, "You know, this Swamiji
      translates all my articles and sends them to various vernacular magazines.
      He is very energetic and sincere."

      Sri X.'s face again became normal!

      "All right, take one more sweetmeat. Your next letter must be sweeter than
      this sweetmeat. You can go now. Om Namah Shivaya."

      "Serve everyone selflessly. Adore God daily. Love all mankind. Feel
      spiritual kinship, brotherhood and unity with one and all. Practise
      Truthfulness, maintain Purity, be kind and compassionate. Share, Give,
      Help. Have silent meditation. This way worship the UNIVERSAL SPIRIT.
      Sincerely strive for Spiritual Perfection and God Experience. This is
      your Highest Good.

      Dear friend, know well that GOD is HERE, NOW even as you READ this line!"
      - Swami Chidananda