    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2000
      Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:22:51 -0500 (CDT)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <dlshq@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <dlshq@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (141)

      We have added two more essays to the collection of essays on world
      religions by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj. The two essays are on
      Sikhisim and Sufism and they are at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/sikhism.htm
      and
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/sufism.htm

      We have also uploaded some recent photographs of Gurumaharaj Sri
      Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj at Uttarkashi by Swami Ramaswarupanandaji at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/saints/chida_mmedia/chida_image6.htm

      These photographs are very inspiring indeed as they look like Gurumaharaj
      is personally blessing us.

      As many of the devotees may know, our revered Gurumaharaj will soon be
      retiring (see announcement below). The Divine Life Society Conference at
      Mumbai this December may be the last time many of us may be able to see
      Gurumaharaj in person. So please contribute generously to the organisers
      of the conference to help make it the grandest function of this
      millennium.

      Please visit the following page for the highlights of the conference:
      http://www.divinelifesociety.org/main.htm

      The enrollment form and guestbook is currently not functioning at the
      above site. If you would like to send donations or enroll, please contact:
      DIVINE LIFE SOCIETY, MUMBAI CIRCLE BRANCH
      Flat No.6, Daulat Villa, Suchak Hospital Complex,
      Manchhubhai Road, Malad (E), Mumbai - 400 097. INDIA.
      Tel. : (91-22) 889 1744.
      Fax : 889 0821
      E-mail: suchaka@...

      Please note that the enrollment deadline is on the 30th of October, 1999.

      Announcement To Devotees And Society's Well-Wishers And Contacts

      We wish to make the following announcement as directed by Revered Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj.

      1. Since some months past Revered Swamiji Maharaj is not taking telephone
      calls personally. You will have to leave your message and your telephone
      number to any of Swamiji's assistants who happens to attend the telephone
      when your call is received. He will inform Revered Swamiji when Swamiji is
      available and can be contacted in his residential wing of Guru Niwas.

      2. As from 24th September 1999, Revered Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj will
      stop receiving letters from anyone. The term letter will also include Fax
      letters, E-mail letters, and communication through Internet. This is for
      the information of all concerned anywhere.

      3. Revered Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj is likely to go into complete
      retirement and also silence, God willing, from the month of April 2000
      A.D. onward. The above announcement appears with Revered Swami
      Chidanandaji's permission. Swamiji has gone through the text and given his
      approval.

      P.A., "Guru Niwas"

      PRAYER EXPLAINED: "How can you explain the efficacy of prayer in a
      scientific manner, Swamiji?" A person with a little rational temperament
      approached the Master and put the question.

      "By prayer a connection is established between the devotee and God. A
      channel is made for the flow of Divine Grace and blessing from God to the
      devotee," said the Master.

      "Feel his Presence always. Recognise His presence everywhere. Carry His
      presence wherever you walk. Remember Him always. Live in Him. You need not
      read many books. You need not roam about in search of Gurus. You need not
      stand on your head for 12 years. You need not do Aswini Mudra to open the
      Kundalini. I have given you the essence of all Sadhanas. It is the gist of
      all Vedas. Practice it. Believe me. It is very easy. It will surely give
      you Moksha. I assure you." - Swami Sivananda