    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2000
      Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:13:42 -0500 (CDT)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (139)

      Om Sri Ganapataye Namah!

      Since yesterday was the appearance day of the boar incarnation (Sri Varaha
      Avatara) of Lord Vishnu I thought it would be appropriate for us to
      reflect on the significance of Avataras and their relation to our
      spiritual life. To facilitate this I uploaded Gurudev Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji's article on the subject at:

      I also uploaded Sri Swami Chidanandaji's article, The Esoteric Meaning of
      the Ten Avataras of Lord Vishnu, at

      Today is Holy Ganesha Chaturthi. There are several articles at our website
      on the significance of this festival. They are:

      1) Ganesha Chaturthi by Sri Swami Sivanandaji at

      2) Lord Ganesha--The Remover of Obstacles by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji at

      May Lord Ganesha remove all the obstacles on our path to God-realization.

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      BRAINS NEED A FLUSH-OUT: The Master was on his way to the office.

      "We are very badly in need of latrines with flush-out systems in the
      Ashram," someone passed a remark.

      "More than that we need flush-out systems for our brains very badly!"
      observed the Master.

      "The great Guru is the indwelling Consciousness within, ever available. It
      is that great Guru Who has appeared to you in and through a human being, a
      teacher, and that great Guru is ever with you in the depths of your heart,
      prompting you, moving you, guiding you. You are never alone, even for a
      split second of time. You are always under the gracious protecting
      presence of your Guru. Wherever you may be, in the Arctic wilderness, on
      the top of Mount Everest, or in the midst of the vast Pacific Ocean, He is
      within you. The Guru never leaves the soul that He has called. He walks
      with you when you walk. He rests with you when you rest. He broods over
      you while you slumber. He is the one Being Who is unfailing. He is the one
      Being Who is eternally yours and always with you. Become aware of this
      companionship and keep on going upward and ever upward. Success will be
      yours!" - Swami Chidananda