    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2000
      Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 21:13:21 -0500
      From: Rob Wilhelm <rwilhelm@...>
      To: Divine Life Family <rwilhelm@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-day (129)

      Om namo Bhagavate Krishnanandaya!

      Namaste!

      July 3rd was the 51st anniversary of the founding of the Yoga Vedanta
      Forest Academy by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj. In
      celebration of this anniversary we uploaded a lecture by Swami Krishnanandaji
      Maharaj on the purpose of the Yoga Vedanta Forest Academy. The title of the
      lecture is "Knowledge as a Means to Freedom" and is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/messages/knowfree.htm

      For this month's discourse, we uploaded an inspiring discourse by Swami
      Rama Tirthaji titled "Is God Responsible for Earthly Anomalies?" This
      discourse is at: http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/discourse/jul99.htm

      We have also uploaded a biography of Swami Rama Tirthaji who was a
      professor of mathematics before renunciation. Swami Rama Tirthji's
      biography is by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj and is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/saints/ramatirtha.htm

      Yours in service of Gurudev,
      Rob

      GOD'S TESTS: Someone brought a saltish preparation. The Master kept some in
      his hand and called to Atmaram, who was sitting in the front.

      "Atmaramji, come here, this is for you."

      Atmaram got up eagerly and hastened to the Master. Suddenly the Master
      cheated him and put it into his own mouth!

      All enjoyed the fun!

      After some time the Master called him again and cheated him in a similar
      manner a second time!

      When the Master called for him the third time, Atmaram was hesitating,
      thinking that he would be cheated once more. To his surprise the Master
      gave him the entire lot!

      "I thought this time also you were going to cheat me."

      "I cheated you twice only in order to give you the whole lot," said the Master.

      God similarly puts the devotee into situations in which the latter finds
      himself helpless, only to give Himself wholly to His devotee.

      We did not push ourselves into this world with our efforts; we were pushed
      by somebody else. Similarly, we will be pushed out of this world without
      our wanting it. If our coming and going is not in our hands, what else is?
      The beginning is not in our hands; the end also is not in our hands; how do
      we arrogantly conclude that the middle of our life is in our hands? That is
      equally beyond our control. --Swami Krishnananda