    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2000
      Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 11:47:22 -0500
      From: Rob Wilhelm <rwilhelm@...>
      To: Divine Life Society <rwilhelm@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-day (123)

      AN OBEDIENT DISCIPLE!: "Shantanandaji," the Master called out, "listen, I will
      tell you an interesting story."

      The whole office staff turned towards the Master's side to listen to the story.

      "There was a Guru. He had a very fine disciple very obedient and taking the
      Guru's words as gospel truths.

      "The Guru one day called his disciple and said, 'Sishya, kindly collect some
      fuel and bring it here.'

      "'Please pardon me, Gurudev,' answered the disciple, 'I am not feeling well
      today.'

      "'All right, don't worry. It does not matter,' said the Guru.

      "A few days later the Guru again called his disciple and said, 'Sishya
      Bhagavan, kindly go to the river and fetch some water for drinking.'

      "'Satguru Deva, ocean of supreme mercy! I am ever at your service, but I have a
      sprain in my left leg. I cannot walk today.' This was the disciple's reply.

      "Like this, whenever the Guru called him for some service, the disciple escaped
      with some kind of excuse or other.

      "One day, the Guru called him and said, 'My dear disciple, I have prepared some
      nice halwa for you. Kindly go and take it.'

      "'Beloved Master, how long can I disobey you? I am waiting eagerly every moment
      to obey your orders, my Lord!'

      "Without further hesitation the disciple finished the entire lot of sweetmeats
      within a moment!"

      All burst into laughter!

      "How do you like this disciple? This is called 'explicit devotion' and
      'implicit obedience' to the Guru!"

      The Master proceeded to discuss a letter written by a devotee two days ago. The
      letter read:

      "Swamiji, a week back I came to your Ashram at about 2.30p.m. with the
      intention of having the Darshan of my most beloved Gurudev. I knocked at the
      door and was disappointed because nobody opened it or responded to my enquiry.
      I felt that if Gurudev hurt the feelings of disciples like this, then where can
      they go for consolation. Therefore, I have determined to fast unto death if I
      do not get a satisfactory explanation from Gurudev within four days!"

      Smiling, the Master remarked, "See how many varieties you find in this world.
      Do you call this devotion? It is nothing but adamancy. Anyhow, I am going to
      write only after two days. Let him fast for at least two days. That will do him
      good and purify him!

      All laughed!

      There is a continuity, which is life, of which we are a part, and we are not
      just X,Y,Z, or A,B,C sitting here; it is not like that. If we open our eyes to
      fact, we will be surprised that we have been living a fool-hardy life upto this
      time, and now the time has come when we have to be serious. Our time is short,
      and there is so much to learn, and a lot to achieve. Obstacles are too many,
      and we have no time to woolgather, sleep or while away our time as if there is
      eternity before us. We cannot take things lightly, life is precious. We cannot
      take it as a joke. Every moment of time is as gold. Because every moment is
      nothing but a little loss of this span of our life. Every bell that rings tells
      us that we have lost one hour. It is not a happy thing that we are hearing.
      Tenacious has to be our effort at gaining insight into that which we seek.
      --Swami Krishnananda