    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2000
      Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:46:31 -0500 (CDT)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (119)

      We are very blessed to have a photograph of Swami Krishnanandaji taken
      during Swamiji's birthday yesterday. There is also a picture of a havan
      (sacred oblation) taking place during Swamiji's birthday. Swamiji is not
      in the havan picture since Swamiji was in bed due to Swamiji's ill health.
      Swamiji's picture is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/multimedia/swamijis2.htm

      Click on the image to see a larger version.

      Swamiji's website now has a guestbook. Please feel free to offer your
      comments and suggestions there. Swamiji's website is at:
      http://education.vsnl.com/swami_krishnananda/

      ON WISE CONTROL OF THE MIND: A middle-aged man who had resigned from a
      well-paid job in Delhi, came to the Ashram with the intention of staying
      to devote his whole time to spiritual pursuits. He prostrated before the
      Master and was waiting for his orders. The Master started to feel his
      pulse and began making suggestions and putting questions.

      "Ohji, you had better return to Delhi and get the job back. Don't do all
      these things through emotion. Your wife and children will suffer there.
      They will come here and weep. Moreover, it will be very difficult for you
      to stick to this path."

      The man replied, "No, Swamiji, I have no inclination to work. My family
      will not suffer there because I have made provision for them. They have
      two houses and Rs. 5,000 in cash. I am determined to embrace the spiritual
      life. In any case I will stick to it."

      "All right, then what is your intention? What do you wish to do?"

      "Swamiji, I wish to travel throughout India, visiting all the important
      shrines and sacred places and singing the Lord's Name wherever I go; this
      is my intention."

      "Ohji, this is not an easy task. You have to undergo many difficulties.
      You will not get food and shelter in time," rejoined the Master.

      "No, Swamiji, God will take care of all those things."

      "That is all right. God will provide you with everything, but before that
      He will see whether you are fit enough for His Grace. You will have to
      face many a tribulation and trial. In the midst of all these you may not
      be able to think of God and may even lose your faith. Your faith in God is
      not yet developed to such an extent as to enable you to face all pains and
      sufferings and yet think of Him. The best way is to stay here for a month
      or two, engage yourself in some work for a few hours daily and the rest of
      the time you can meditate."

      "No, Swamiji, I have no interest in any work. I cannot work. I want to
      utilise the whole time in meditation."

      "My dear sir, go step by step. Don't jump from the first to the fifth. You
      will break your legs. It is not possible for a neophyte to meditate all
      the twenty-four hours of the day. You can do so for a few days only. Later
      on the mind will put an 'automatic vacuum break'. In the name of deep
      meditation you will be sleeping only. This will produce inertia. The mind
      should be controlled tactfully and with discrimination, otherwise, like a
      vicious horse, it will throw you down and immediately bolt away. A few
      hours of Japa, a few hours of meditation, some Kirtan, some Asanas, a few
      rounds of Pranayama, a little selfless service--combining all these
      practices you must work to win over the mind. Then only will you have a
      harmonious and synthetic development of the head, heart and hand. Do not
      think that work is a hindrance to meditation; on the contrary it is very
      helpful. Work done selflessly refreshes the mind when it is tired due to
      meditation. So, do not hesitate, stay here and take up some work."

      "Excuse me, Swamiji, I cannot work," put in the man.

      "All right, you need not work. You are interested in Kirtan, is it not? Do
      Akhanda Kirtan for a few hours daily in the Bhajan hall and help in the
      worship in the temple. Satyagyanam, give him a room, clothes and
      everything. All right, you can go now. Be cheerful. May the Lord bless
      you!"

      Such is the Master's supreme, inexpressible kindness!

      "We are never true to ourselves and, therefore, we can never be true to
      others. This predicament is a tremendous danger before man's future. And
      this illness has come upon man right from the very beginning of his birth
      itself, and attaches itself to him wherever he goes in every incarnation.
      Perhaps this is the original sin that people speak of in theoretical
      circles. Unless we shed this completely and stand naked before the glory
      and fire of God as pure spirit, and not as men and women, we cannot
      understand, appreciate and feel what divine love is." - Swami Krishnananda