    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2000
      Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:51:51 -0600 (CST)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (105)

      Gurudev Sri Swami Chidanandaji's New Year message has been uploaded to our
      site at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/messages/nymessage99.htm

      In this message, Gurudev requests all of us to devote one hour every day
      in meditation, to the projection of peace thoughts so that the present
      troubles and turmoils of the world may cease. The following prayer by our
      ancients may be used for our meditation:

      "May peace be unto all the quarters! May peace be unto the skies! May
      peace be unto the earth! May peace be to the waters of the earth! May
      peace be to the medicinal herbs and all plants on earth! May peace be to
      the celestials! May peace be to Brahma, the Creator! May peace be upon
      Peace itself!"

      Gurudev's recent letter is now in HTML at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/announce/dec98_letter.htm

      We have also uploaded two articles to celebrate the festival of Makara
      Sankranti or Pongal which took place on the 14th of January. In Sanskrit,
      Makara Sankranti means the time when the sun crosses the tropic of
      Capricorn. The first article is by Holy Master Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      Maharaj on the spiritual significance of this festival. This article is
      at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/religions/makara_siva.htm

      The second article is by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj. The title of
      the article is "Sun--The Eye of the World". In this article, Swami
      Krishnanandaji explains the place of the Sun in the scheme of things and
      the spiritual significance of the Sun. This article is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/religions/makara_krishna.htm

      We also uploaded a biography of Sri Swami Vivekanandaji whose birthday was
      on the 12th of January. Swami Vivekanandaji's biography is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/saints/vivekananda.htm

      EXPERIENCE IS SUBJECTIVE: "Swamiji, if some drink coffee at night they get
      sound sleep, but it is just the opposite in my case," Atmaramji said to
      the Master.

      "That is the beauty," commented the Master. "For some, castor oil will
      relieve constipation and for others it will increase it. What do you say
      about that? That which is nectar to one becomes poison to another. This is
      a great mystery. It clearly shows that there is no truth in the object
      itself. As you are, so you see and experience. The truth about the object
      lies only in the truth about the subject. Therefore, know the Self and be
      free."

      "Though the world is full of misery, yet Brahman is all pure. He remains
      always untouched by evil. As youth, childhood and old age belongs to the
      body only and not to the Self, as blindness and deafness, etc., belong to
      the senses and not to the Self, so also the defects of the world do not
      belong to Brahman." - Swami Sivananda