    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2000
      Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 16:08:01 -0600 (CST)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (103)

      "World-Peace Through Inter-Religious Understanding" is the title of the
      discourse this month. This talk was delivered in 1984 by Gurudev Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj to the opening session of the Assembly of the Sixth
      World Conference on Religion and Peace, U.S.A. Gurudev's call for peace
      and understanding urgently needs to be heeded now at a time when a number
      of nations in this world are engaged in warfare. This discourse is at:

      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/discourse/jan99.htm

      MASTER'S SPIRIT OF SERVICE: Swami Nityanandaji of the Ramakrishna Mission
      came with Swami Ajeyanandaji Maharaj, who had just returned from the West.
      Swami Ajeyanandaji recalled his close association with the Master while
      they were both residing at Swarg Ashram during their Sadhana period.

      "Swamiji," he said, addressing the Master, "you were robust in those days.
      You were ever busy and dynamic, always eager to serve and serve all. I
      remember how you used to volunteer to help Sadhus and sick persons. Two
      instances I still remember when you spent out of your own pocket to send
      patients to Lucknow for hospitalisation. In another instance you had
      several cottages of Sadhus repaired at your own expense--all this when you
      yourself were living on alms. It is that spirit of service that has
      manifested itself today as this great institution."

      Continuing, Swami Ajeyanandaji said, "Swamiji, you were so full of humour
      in those days."

      "Even now I am. I have written a couple of books also on humour."

      The Master read a few of his humorous poems which made them all laugh
      heartily.

      "Yes, and whenever I felt depressed, it was you who brought me cheer. I
      can never forget my close association with you during the year and a half
      I stayed at Swarg Ashram."

      After detailing his work in England and the United States, Swami
      Ajeyanandaji said, "Swamiji, even in New York I have had the pleasure of
      meeting several of your followers, so also in England. To many I have
      given a virtual discourse on your life and teachings."

      "When you are in the burial ground, you make various resolves thus: 'I
      will lead a virtuous life: I will do more Japa, more meditation: I will
      never hurt other's feelings.' But, as soon as you come back to the house,
      you forget everything. This is Maya. Sometimes the husband and the wife
      quarrel in the house, on account of some friction and lack of
      psychological unity of hearts; the husband wants to abandon the wife,
      renounce the world and embrace Sannyasa. Again she smiles and he clings to
      her like a leech! This is Maya. So powerful is Maya's influence over the
      poor deluded Jiva. But the Lord has assured you in the Gita that if you
      take refuge in Him, He will enable you to cross this Maya very easily." -
      Swami Sivananda