    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 1999
      Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:14:06 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (102)

      We have uploaded two books in celebration of the upcoming Christmas
      festival and New Year. The first is "Life and Teachings of Lord Jesus" by
      Holy Master Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj. The following are the chapters
      in this book:
      1. Life of Lord Jesus
      2. The Beatitudes
      3. The Sermon on the Mount
      4. Christmas Messages of Sri Swami Sivananda
      5. Parables of Lord Jesus
      6. A Symposium (consisting of lectures by Swami Sivanandaji, Swami
      Chidanandaji and Swami Krishnanandaji)

      This book is indeed a treasure for all devotees of the Lord. The second
      book is Gurudev Sri Swami Chidanandaji's "Special Insights Into Sadhana
      No. 3". This booklet contains Gurudev's early morning meditation talks
      during Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Year. The title of the talks are:
      Thy Kingdom Come
      Thy Will Be Done
      Heaven Is Where God Is
      Have Divinity In Your Mind And Heart
      Nothing Is Impossible For Faith And Sincerity
      Worship That Is Dear To The Lord

      I would like to take this opportunity to wish all devotees of the Lord a
      Merry Christmas and a Glorious New Year.

      ESCAPISM DOES NOT PAY: "A woman was crying aloud with labour pains. The
      husband quietly approached and tried to pacify her, 'My dear, even if you
      cry yourself hoarse, you alone have to deliver the child !'. And she grew
      calm and delivered the child without much more ado," said the Master
      amidst laughter, to explain the dictum that we should do our duties
      cheerfully.

      "There is another interesting story to illustrate the point," he
      continued. "A bull was once disgusted with the treatment meted out to it
      by its owner. How long must I plough in the field, it thought. It ran
      away. After walking a few miles it chanced to come to another field.
      Through an accident one of the bulls of the farmer there was injured.
      Seeing the stray bull lying beneath a shady tree, the farmer promptly
      caught hold of it and yoked it to the plough. And the bull silently
      ploughed the field, understanding its duty aright.

      "Similar was the experience of a sensitive underwear, which reflected on
      its sorry fate with disgust and anger. It flew away from the clothes line
      and was discovered in the backyard of a house miles away. A resident of
      the house, a poor man, thanked his stars for the windfall and promptly put
      the underwear to the only use for which it was meant.

      "No one will profit by shirking his duty. The omniscient Lord cannot be
      deceived. If you escape from your duty at one place, the very thing will
      be waiting for you wherever you go."

      "Without the help of meditation, you cannot attain knowledge of the Self.
      Without its aid, you cannot grow into the divine state. Without it, you
      cannot liberate yourself from the trammels of the mind and attain
      Immortality. If you do not practise meditation, the supreme splendour and
      fadeless glories of Atman will remain hidden from you. Tear the veils that
      cover the Soul by practising regular meditation. Rend asunder the five
      sheaths that screen the Atman by constant meditation and then attain the
      final beatitude of life." - Swami Sivananda