88Sivananda Day-to-Day (90)

    Dec 6, 1999
      Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 08:18:42 -0500 (CDT)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (90)

      This month's discourse is titled "Signs of Progress in the Path of
      Meditation". The discourse is by Holy Master Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      Maharaj. The URL is:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/discourse/oct98.htm

      We also uploaded an educational article on prevention of drug addiction
      which appeared in the Divine Life magazine some years back. Seekers who
      have read "Harih-Karta" (available at our free books page) will know about
      Gurudev's deep concern with regards to drug addiction when he went to a
      club in Amsterdam that was a den for drug addicts and began praying aloud,
      begging them with folded hands to give up their bad ways. He continued
      praying and appealing to them although he was being mocked and ridiculed.
      This article is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/announce/drugs.htm

      There is a site in Japanese with information about works by Swami
      Sivanandaji and Swami Chidanandaji which have been translated to Japanese
      at:
      http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~f-oyama/

      There are also 8 photographs of the DLS at Rishikesh at this site
      (including the Holy Samadhi shrine of our beloved Holy Master). The photos
      are at:
      http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~f-oyama/Photo_DLS.htm

      If you would like to view them in Japanese characters, you can go to this
      site:
      http://www.shodouka.com/
      and then type the above URL. It will do the conversion to Japanese
      characters and you can have a friend who knows Japanese to translate the
      captions for you.

      AN ASPIRANT TESTED: A certain man came to the Ashram on leave and wanted
      to resign his job and take to the path of renunciation. The Master advised
      him, "Do not resign your job. You should purify yourself while remaining
      in the world. Remain here for some time and then return. Do not extend
      your leave."

      Another visitor also wished to resign his job and join the Ashram.

      The Master questioned him, "Have you got your mother?"

      "Yes, but she also wants to come here."

      "Let her come," said the Master, "but you should not resign the job."

      The visitor was dissatisfied with the reply.

      While the Master was returning to his cottage after the office work, the
      visitor followed him. The Master looked at him and said, "Don't renounce.
      The path of renunciation is difficult. You can do Sadhana at home, keep a
      spiritual diary and correspond with me."

      "No," replied the visitor, and signs of tears coming out of his eyes were
      evident.

      The Master then asked, "Do you want to resign the job and join the
      Ashram?"

      "Yes."

      "Then resign the job and renounce. You will get everything here. You have
      a library here. The entire library is yours, because you have become
      Sivananda. You are my personal secretary. Do you know typing? You can
      assist Swami X."

      "I was an assistant accountant," the man replied. "I will begin work here
      from tomorrow. For the present I am extending my leave, then I will
      resign."

      "All right," said the Master, and then went into his cottage.