48Sivananda Day-to-Day (50)

    Oct 18, 1999
      Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 10:49:58 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (50)

      On Christmas day the birthday of Gurudev's friend in God, His Holiness Sri
      Swami Vivekayuktananda Saraswati Maharaj, was celebrated at
      Vivekayuktananda Ashram. I am sure many devotees and seekers would like
      to know more about Sri Swamiji who gave us the beautiful pictures of the
      DLS saints and Rishikesh at
      http://www.geocities.com/~skrshnananda/pannir.html
      Vivekayuktananda Ashram webpage now has a biography of Sri Swami
      Vivekayuktanandaji at http://www.geocities.com/~skrshnananda/sadeng.html

      More photographs of a younger Gurudev and Swami Krishnanandaji with
      Swamiji can be accessed from Swamiji's biography page.

      Vivekayuktananda Ashram webpage has illumintaing discourses on Yoga,
      reminiscience of a trip to Rishikesh (with more photographs at Sivananda
      Ashram) and also audio clips of Kirtan by Gurudev and Holy Master
      (accessible from the Mahatma Nivas link). The URL of the homepage is:
      http://www.geocities.com/~skrshnananda/home.html
      While navigating the site, please do not forget to visit "Thus Speaks
      Vivekayuktananda" (http://www.geocities.com/~skrshnananda/whenall.html)

      BOOKS:
      Two more books by the Holy Master have been uploaded at our website. They
      are:

      1) Practice of Brahmacharya. It is commonly taken to mean celibacy but the
      word Brahmacharya actually signifies the conduct (Achara) that leads to
      the Absolute (Brahman). Brahmacharya is the art of self-restraint, the
      practice of which confers health and long life, peace, power and poise. In
      the web edition we have added a symposium section consisting of Gurudev's
      and Swami Krishnanandaji's discourses on the subject and also Holy
      Master's view on Birth Control.

      Thanks goes to Alex for proof-reading this book.

      2) Thought Power. Holy Master leaves nothing unturned in dealing with the
      subject matter. One will know the immense value of this book just by
      reading the table of contents.

      The URL of the download page is:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/download/download.htm

      If you have problems installing Adobe Acrobat, viewing, saving, printing
      the books or any other technical questions, please contact Alex
      <maipopa@...>

      I would like to know if anyone in this mailing list has Corel Ventura 5.0
      or better. Please let me know if you do.

      WEB PAGE UPDATE:
      This month's discourse has been uploaded a few days earlier to help you
      with your New Year's resolution. The discourse by Holy Master is
      titled "Steps to Self-Realization" and the URL is
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/discourse/jan98.htm

      -----------------------------------

      SHYNESS TO SING KIRTAN: At the night Satsang, the Master requested Sri
      N., a visitor, to do Kirtan. Some moments passed and Sri N. was still
      silent, being shy.

      Thereupon the Master remarked, "If it is laddu (a sweetmeat) no one would
      feel shy to eat, but look at Maya, to sing the Lord�s Name people feel
      shy!"

      Without further delay thereafter, Sri N. did Kirtan.

      "Follow the right unswervingly, at any cost. Care not for public opinion
      or criticism." - Swami Sivananda