455Sivananda Day-to-day (421)

    Dec 2 7:35 AM
      Om Namo Bhagavate Dattatreyaya!

      Today, December 2nd, is the appearance day of Load
      Dattatreya who is a manifestation of the trinity, Brahma,
      Siva and Vishnu. He is considered to be an Adi Guru (primal
      world teacher). In honour of this occasion we uploaded an
      article by Sri Swami Sivanandaji on Dattatreya at:

      In addition, the following articles on Lord Dattatreya are
      also available on our website:

      1) Dattatreya Jayanti by Sri Swami Sivanandaji

      2) The Divine Trinity by Sri Swami Chidanandaji

      3) Lord Dattatreya - Master Par Excellence by Sri Swami

      Since we are on the subject of Guru, we also uploaded an
      article by Sri Swami Chidanandaji titled "The Necessity for
      a Guru" at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      Book Synopsis

      Constipation - Its Causes and Cure
      By Swami Sivananda

      Constipation, along with Diabetes and Blood Pressure, has
      come to be regarded as a natural outcome of modern
      civilisation. There is virtually no one in the world today
      who has not seriously suffered from this disease at some
      time or the other; and, what is worse, who has not been
      afflicted by the numerous diseases that spring from this

      The Compassionate Sage of Ananda Kutir, who is ever eager to
      remove the sufferings of mankind by every means possible,
      has blessed us with his characteristically comprehensive and
      concise treatment of this dire disease.

      We do hope and pray that the present publication will serve
      its purpose well, viz., of enlightening men of the true
      causes of Constipation, how to avoid, it, how to cure it,
      when it has already been contracted.

      For more information, please visit:

      CAUSE OF FEVER: It was at Rajahmundry, and the Master was
      running high fever. The programme at the next halt, Kovvur,
      was about to be abandoned, but he said, "We must go to
      Kovvur. Start immediately."

      When they reached the place, the fever had vanished.

      The Master offered an explanation, "It was the feverish
      anxiety of these thousands of devotees waiting for me here
      that manifested itself as fever in me. Now that I am in
      their midst, I share their joy, and the fever has left!"

      And he proceeded to address the milling crowd on the open
      grounds of the local school.

      "Taking a past saint as a guru is the same as taking God as
      your guru. God is a poor uncomplaining person, and even if
      He complains, you don't recognise His complaint! Many times
      He complains against your disobedience and sends you
      complaint letters in His own way, but you attribute it to
      some other person. "That man was nasty to me and brought
      about this trouble for me." We never think, "Perhaps He sent
      this to me in His own way because of my transgression." You
      should not assume the comfortable position that you have a
      silent, invisible guru. That guru cannot in any way
      effectively test your ego. Let us therefore have our eyes
      open and be aware of what we are doing." - Swami Chidananda

      Other Sivananda related lists:
      1) Sivananda Daily Readings

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings & Thought for the Day

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works