438Sivananda Day-to-day (405)

    Mar 17, 2009

      We have posted an article by Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      titled "Precepts for Practice" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/mar2009.htm

      An article titled "Some Guidelines for Practice" by
      Sri Swami Krishnanandaji has been posted at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_144.html

      Book Synopsis

      Adhyatma Yoga
      By Swami Sivananda

      The attainment of God-realisation is the goal of
      human life. Great seers, saints and sages have been
      from time immemorial voicing this truth and striving
      to spread the gospel of God-realisation in different
      ways, through books, speeches, heart-to-heart talks,
      etc. And exactly it is to remind man of his Goal, and
      to show him the path that leads to it that this book
      'Adhyatma Yoga' is dedicated.

      The first chapter of this book deals with the nature
      of God. The second chapter throws light on the
      concept of religion. Various subjects connected with
      philosophy are discussed in the next chapter. The
      fourth chapter raises the clarion call to Sadhana,
      pointing out to man the false, perishable nature of
      the world, and the glory and sublimity of a life in
      Spirit. The fifth chapter is rich in profuse
      instructions to aspirants on their path of Sadhana,
      and will be treasured by all earnest aspirants.
      Formulas for Vedantic meditation are given in the
      sixth chapter. The seventh chapter, containing a
      series of addresses made to the mind and senses will
      be found highly useful by all Sadhaks, as it throws
      much light on how to coax and cajole the riotous mind
      and senses. The path of devotion is dealt with in
      chapter VIII, and the glory of Divine Name is
      described in chapter IX. In this age of hatred and
      dissension, the message of love alone will be the
      saving factor, and a full chapter (viz. chapter X) is
      devoted to a discussion of 'Love' and its infinite
      potencies. Sadhana, to be successful, has to be done
      under the guidance of a Guru. The glory and need of
      Guru are dealt with in chapter XI. Chapter XII gives
      out the experiences of a Sage of Realisation,-the
      experiences which are the Sadhak's ideal. A
      description of the characteristics of a saint is
      given in chapter XIII. Chapter XIV is a highly
      interesting treatise on a wide variety of subjects,
      and thinkers and intellectuals will immensely like
      the thoughts contained in this chapter. Definitions,
      from a spiritual angle, of different things and
      phenomena are given in chapter XV. A description of
      woman, the spiritual helpmate of man, is given in
      chapter XVI. Chapters XVII and XVIII respectively
      convey valuable lessons through humour and stories.
      The concluding chapter deals with the means of
      acquiring health and long life, so very essential for
      attaining God-realisation.

      It is hoped that all aspirants will make the best use
      of this book, by studying it and putting the
      teachings into actual practice.

      The teachings imparted in this book are in the form
      of pithy poems.

      May Lord bless you all.

      There is more information at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es29.htm

      APPEALING FOR FUNDS: A group of engineers visited the
      Ashram on November 2, 1956. The Master took them
      round and explained how the entire complex of
      buildings had developed without a plan, mainly
      because of paucity of funds.

      "Money is with the householders," said the Master.
      "Well-wishers who are benefited by the institution
      send donations according to their might. I get no big
      donations, yet I am getting plenty. Expenses also are
      mounting. The Ashram is always in debt--one and a
      half lakhs always!"

      The engineers suggested, "Why can't you send some
      disciples to Africa as other spiritual institutions
      do? They will collect money from there."

      "I do not have many people. The few I have are
      required here itself," answered the Master.

      On many occasions devotees pressed the Master to
      undertake tours for collecting money.

      "That is impossible for me," the Master would say.
      And when in 1940 extensive arrangements were made for
      a grand tour of the Punjab, he refused to go and sent
      a telegram to the organisers: "Let me do as much as
      possible by remaining in my own little cottage on the
      banks of the Ganges. When the honey is here the bees
      will come by themselves. Ruthlessly shun desire for
      money."

      "The world loves you more than you love it, and God
      loves you more than you love Him. You may move slowly
      towards the Goal, but it comes often with a great
      force. When the ocean rushes into the river, it will
      come with a greater energy and push than the force
      with which the river enters the ocean." - Swami
      Krishnananda.