419Sivananda Day-to-day (392)

    Jan 14, 2008

      Today (January 14) is the holy celebration of Makara
      Shankranti in honour of the Sun-God's (Surya)
      northward journey. There are a couple of articles on
      our websites about the significance of this occasion.
      They are:

      1) Makara Shankranti by Sri Swami Sivanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/makara_siva.htm

      2) Sun: The Eye of the World by Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_02.html

      In addition, we uploaded an article from a recently
      published book by Sri Swami Sivanandaji titled
      "Meditation Know-How". The title of the article is:
      "Key Guidelines To Successful Meditation" and is at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/apr2007.htm

      The introduction to the book by Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      is also very inspiring. The "Introduction" can be
      read at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es106.htm

      Continuing on the theme of meditation, there is a new
      article (with audio) on "Meditation and Kundalini" by
      Sri Swami Krishnanandaji at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_114.html

      CARING FOR THE BODY: One winter a Nepali aristocrat
      coming down from the Ashram Bhajan hall after the
      night Satsang, found the kitchen fires burning
      brightly even at that late hour. He turned to the
      Master.

      "What, Swamiji, you seem to be mindful of everything!
      There is Akhand (continuous) Kirtan upstairs and the
      'Akhand' kitchen going on down here!"

      "You have remarked rightly," was the Master's serious
      reply. "Indeed, I do believe in both 'Akhand' kitchen
      as well as Akhand Kirtan. For, the latter cannot go
      on without the former, as long as you have a physical
      body to deal with. It is the 'Akhand' tea, 'Akhand'
      milk and fruit and the 'Akhand' puns with which I
      nourish all the industrious workers that has resulted
      in the wonderful work the Divine Life Society is
      doing everywhere."

      "A human being, every human being knows that he is
      finite, but he creates circumstances in society to
      remove the consciousness of finitude by somehow or
      other creating an atmosphere of bigness, importance.
      'I am a socially recognized person; the whole world
      knows me.' If this idea enters the head, you feel
      somehow that the finitude has expanded into the world
      area. It has not really expanded; it has only
      conceptually expanded. So, a socially great man is
      not a really great man. He is a small man only, but
      people say 'Very good! Very good!' But one day they
      say 'Down!', and put him down." - Swami Krishnananda