357Sivananda Day-to-day (335)

    Jun 23, 2003

      Several new books were recently released at the
      Sivananda Ashram. Given below are the titles of the
      book along with the URL where further information has
      been posted:

      "A Boon To Diabetics" by Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es24.htm

      "How to Become Rich" by Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es63.htm

      "Precepts for Practice" by Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es120.htm

      "Spiritual Lessons" by Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es166.htm

      "Divine Gems (Souvenir)" A compilation
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/eo14.htm

      We have also loaded an early morning meditation talk
      by Sri Swami Atmaswarupanandaji titled "You Are
      Unique but Not Special":
      http://www.dlshq.org/messages/notspecial.htm

      We have moved to a new mailing service which is
      devoid of advertising. Subscribing and unsubscribing
      can be done at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi

      ROOT OUT SELFISHNESS: Sri Swami Chidananda had
      delivered a thrilling discourse during the morning
      university class on the importance of rooting out
      selfishness in the spiritual aspirant. He dealt with
      the various methods of achieving this end. At the
      conclusion the Master asked Sri Parasuraman if he had
      taken notes of the lecture.

      "Swamiji, I am maintaining a diary of all that takes
      place here."

      "Hearing a lecture is only the beginning of Sadhana,"
      the Master began. "Just close your eyes now and think
      how many times you have allowed the fullest play for
      your selfishness. Make a note of this in your diary.
      You will be astounded at your spiritual state. A
      searching analysis will reveal to you the subtle
      forms that selfishness assumes. You should slowly
      endeavour to eradicate all negative qualities.

      "Some people imagine that they have reached very near
      perfection. They imagine that they are only a hair's
      breadth to Nirvikalpa Samadhi. They think that they
      have had the experience of Samprajnata Samadhi. They
      close their eyes and only dream, for, in their
      everyday life you will find them full of selfishness,
      egoism and evil qualities.

      "When they close their eyes some others think that
      they see the Atma Jyoti. 'Why does not Nirvikalpa
      Samadhi follow immediately?' they ask.

      "Some claim to have seen Lord Krishna. 'Lord Krishna
      came to me thrice, but why does He not appear a
      fourth time?' These people delude themselves.

      "You must apply yourself vigorously to the
      eradication of selfishness. Surrender yourself to the
      Lord. Live for Him alone. He will then reveal Himself
      to you."

      "Self-control, self-restraint and self-denial are
      necessary for the realisation of the eternal bliss of
      the supreme Self. Therefore develop these virtues to
      the maximum degree." - Swami Sivananda