353Sivananda Day-to-day (331)

    Jun 1, 2003

      Today (June 1) marks the 79th anniversary of Gurudev Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji Maharaj embracing the Holy Order of Sannyas. In
      commemoration of this occasion we uploaded a couple of talks. The first
      is by Gurudev titled "Advice to Sannyasins (Renunciates)":
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/jun2003.htm

      and the second is by Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj titled "Swami
      Sivananda--Personified Synthesis of Dynamism and Renunciation":
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/gurudev_sannyas.htm

      This is what Papa Ramdas had to say about Gurudev's Sannyas:

      *****

      Humanity's Gain From Sivananda's Sannyasa
      WORLD'S GREAT GOD-REALISED SANNYASI
      (His Holiness Sri Swami Ramdas, Anandashram Kanhangad)

      Sri Swami Sivananda Saraswati is a God-realised personality. He can be
      looked upon as one of the spiritual leaders of the age, because he has
      been a world figure sending out his spiritual messages to all parts of
      the earth for the guidance of thousands of seekers after truth.

      Ramdas has heard of and seen hundreds of Divine Life Societies started
      in different parts of India and abroad. They all help to awaken the
      ignorant to the awareness of their spiritual nature and also to inspire
      them to serve the poor and the distressed fellow-beings. This work has
      been done in the name of and as inspired by Sri Swami Sivananda
      Saraswati. Look at the wonder! A Saint, a Sannyasin, who is somewhere
      in the Himalayas, has been responsible for such vast and extensive
      activities for the amelioration of the conditions of unhappy humanity
      and for bringing light and peace to millions!

      *****

      STICK TO ONE PLACE: "Is Sri Shroff leaving today?" the Master asked
      Swami Chinmayanandaji.

      "Perhaps not, Swamiji. His health was very bad again last night."

      "What happened?"

      "Swamiji, he gets easily upset over trifles. The problem of travelling
      by day in the hot sun in a bus worried him so much that he got blood
      pressure again!"

      "Quite true. Only aged people know their difficulties. It is a trifling
      thing to youth but a real problem to an aged man like him with all his
      weak heart and blood pressure. A young man will not be able to
      understand. When I was young I was doing double somersaults, but now
      diabetes and other ailments make it difficult for me even to walk. Age
      has its own limitations. You should try to understand aged people and
      sympathise with them.

      "All these problems will be solved if you stick to one place. The
      Ashram is my entire world. You will be able to do a lot of service and
      yet save yourself these botherations if you stick to one place and go
      on with your work."