250Sivananda Day-to-day (238)

    Aug 11, 2001
      Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!

      Today (August 11) is the auspicious birthday of Lord Krishna. We have
      several articles on our websites about this blessed occassion. They are:

      1) Krishna Janmashtami by Gurudev at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/krishna_jan.htm

      2) Sri Krishna--The Purna-Avatara by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_10.html

      We have a book titled "Lord Krishna, His Lilas and Teachings" available
      for download at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#lordkrishna

      There is also an excellent discourse by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji on the
      Lord at Sri Swamiji's site at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_10.html

      We are no longer accepting credit cards at our site for book orders.
      Payments for orders will have to be made by conventional means.

      RECOLLECTIONS: "Swamiji, you might not recognise me," started a Sadhu as
      he met the Master near the dispensary.

      "Oh! How can I forget you? I met you twelve years ago in Naimissaranya,
      is it not?"

      How could the Sadhu deny? Tongue-tied with amazement he simply kept
      quiet.

      The Master turned to one of the Ashramites. "That was a long time ago,
      when I had gone to Naimissaranya on a lecture tour. And when I was to
      lecture at Lakhimpore this Swami was also there.

      "He also was eager to lecture," continued the Master, "and I took great
      interest in him and made him give a short discourse."

      Turning to the Sadhu, "Do you remember that?"

      Still dazed, he replied, "Yes, Swamiji. What a wonderful memory you
      have!"

      Both went into the office. Then the Master asked Vishnu Swamiji to give
      the Sadhu a copy of the magazine and some leaflets and take him round
      the Ashram. The guileless Sadhu expressed amazement at the meteoric
      growth of the institution. He had seen it long ago when it had hardly a
      couple of rooms.

      In the meantime a few gentlemen walked in. One of them said, "Swamiji,
      we came here to have your Darshan. I am an Information Officer. I have
      my friends at Hardwar."

      "Oh yes, you had come here previously, I remember."

      "Yes, Swamiji, that was quite long ago when I was working in a newspaper
      office at Lahore."

      "Oh yes, you saw me at Lahore also."

      Then the Master mentioned a few names, one of which was that of the
      Information Officer.

      The One alone, which's all this manifold,
      Revealed as twofold inseparables,
      Announced the strange togetherness of form,
      Which undivided on one side abides
      And vast creation on the other stands.
      The unseen and the seen are just the one,
      The That-which-is, is all this appearance.
      Narayana and Nara immortals,
      The great resources puissance e'r attained,
      Whose radiance o'rshadows all the gods,
      Whose lustre fills this world with vibrant life,
      And reaches e'n all realms beyond the earth,
      Who glow as fire invincible, yet calm,
      As sun who shine, as wind are lofty strong,
      Dazzling as flame and beautiful as moon,
      As Krishna and Arjuna came on earth,
      As fullness grown of Vishnu's encompass,
      Glory which has no boundaries or walls.
      When it descends to picture human frames
      Is Superman who wields the field of force
      Which throbs in hearts of atoms and all things.
      The sea when pressed and condensed into form
      To fill a space as wide as human form
      Becomes the genius stunning human brain.
      Stupendous surges from the infinite
      Contain the whole of what's infinitude.
      The full when all this world of things projects
      Is still the full with no diminution,
      And that which comes is also full ablaze;
      So Krishna came as full eternity
      Which walked the streets of temporality.
      - Swami Krishnananda