247Sivananda Day-to-day (235)

    Jul 14, 2001

      Today (July 14th) is the 38th anniversary of Gurudev's Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji's Mahasamadhi (the departure of a Self-realized saint from
      his mortal coil). We have uploaded an article regarding Gurudev's
      pre-determined Mahasamadhi from Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji's book
      "Gurudev Sivananda". This article is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/saints/siva_samadhi.htm

      "Gurudev Sivananda" is an excellent biography of Sri Gurudev by his
      intimate disciple, Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji. This book had been out of
      print for a long time has just been re-printed and is available from our
      online bookstore. There is more information about this book at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/ev58.htm

      We have posted more information about some of our books which are not
      online yet. Most of the Divine Life Society books have introductions
      which are complete discourses by themselves. We have posted the table of
      contents and introductions for the following books:

      Bliss Divine by Sri Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es19.htm

      Lives of Saints by Sri Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es93.htm

      Philosophy of Dreams by Sri Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es297.htm

      Raja Yoga--Text, word-to-word meaning, translation and commentary of
      Yoga Sutras of Patanjali Maharshi by Sri Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es283.htm

      Tantra Yoga, Nada Yoga and Kriya Yoga by Sri Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es283.htm

      The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali with commentary by Sri Swami Venkatesananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/ev54.htm

      The Divine Life Society of Australia launched a website on Guru Purnima
      day last week. This beautiful website is at:
      http://www.dlsaus.org/

      ATTENTION TO DETAILS: "I warned you the other day itself that these
      account books will be spoilt by rain. They thought that as the sun was
      shining there would be no rain."

      "It is the wind that spoils it, Swamiji. If the wind is not blowing, the
      water does not come in. It is the wind that misdirects the rain."

      "All right," said the Master, smiling, "send a petition to the Wind God
      not to blow when it is raining and thus spoil our papers! Very well, you
      can now go on keeping the papers and account books in a careless
      manner."

      By now the Ashramite had realised the point.

      "No Swamiji, I did not mean that. I shall have the books and papers
      removed from near the verandah."

      "You see, you should always be careful. Some people think that there
      would be no snakes and scorpions in summer. Instead, if they are always
      careful and take a lantern, they will be safe. As soon as the work is
      over, the hands should automatically bolt the doors and windows and move
      the account books and papers to safe places.

      "I am always careful regarding the minutest details," continued the
      Master. "Several people here used to ask me to send to devotees large
      consignments of books through people who were proceeding to the same
      city from here. Sometimes N., with his keen sense of economy, would
      suggest getting our books from Calcutta or other places by goods train.
      What would happen to them then? When they arrive here, half would be
      soaked in oil, the other half would smell of jaggery.

      "The other day, Pannalal's friend asked me if I had some books for
      Pannalal to take to him. I actually had a big parcel of books but I
      would not send it through this friend. He might himself forget it at the
      railway station or in the carriage. He might forget to deliver the books
      immediately he reached Amritsar. And then, he might send the parcel
      through someone and the books might go astray and never reach Pannalal
      at all. All this just to save a few rupees. I will not allow it at all.
      Even at the cost of a few extra rupees I will send the books direct to
      the person intended and thus ensure proper delivery."