244Sivananda Day-to-day (232)

    Jun 24, 2001

      We have uploaded an interesting article by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      Maharaj on the subject of dreams. This article is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/messages/dream.htm

      Books by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj are being made available in
      one HTML file now for easy download. The following books have been
      zipped and posted at Sri Swamiji's site:
      Essays on the Upanishads
      The Philosophy of the Bhagavadgita
      Yoga, Meditation and Japa Sadhana

      These books can be acessed from Sri Swamiji's home page at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/

      LOST OPPORTUNITIES: Pannalalji's family was going to the Viswanath Ghat
      for their bath.

      "Om Namo Narayanaya! Did the doctor come and see the child last night?"
      the Master enquired.

      "No, Swamiji. But the child is improving by your Grace alone."

      "O Venugopala Swamiji! did you not attend to the child last night in the
      Vanaprashtha hermitage?"

      "No, Swamiji, I will go now."

      "Of course you can go now, but I had asked you to attend to that baby
      last night itself, and you had agreed to do so. You have neglected your
      duty. It is either laziness or neglect. It is through such cases that
      you miss golden opportunities of rendering service.

      "If I had known that you would not be going, then I would have myself
      gone and attended to the child. This service is greater than meditation
      and study. By serving the sick you put yourself directly in tune with
      the Infinite. You develop the heart, which is the only way to realise
      God."

      "I thought that I need not go last night, Swamiji, so I neglected it."

      "When I request you to go immediately, you should at once go and attend
      to the patient, whether it be midnight or midday. Do not think I am
      finding fault with you; it is all for your own good only. By such
      frequent self-analysis you should try to improve and make yourself
      perfect. Om Namo Narayanaya! Jaihoji!"