238Sivananda Day to day (229)

  • NavinDas
    Jun 4, 2001
      Om Namo Bhagavate Sivananadaya!

      �R. went away today because someone ill-treated him. Who is the loser? Surely it is R. himself.
      �These people have a peculiar idea of independence,� the Master continued. �True independence is an inner life free from the sovereignty of anger, lust and greed, under whose sway most men labour. What does he gain when he runs away? Here, his egoism, arrogance and vanity were one cubit long. After a few years of this independence they will be several cubits long. There will be no one to point out his mistakes, no one to enable him to practise patience, endurance and adaptability. All of you should read daily my articles, �Most Important Sadhana� and �Adaptability�. How can divine qualities be cultivated without adaptability, without you becoming aware of your own defects and trying to eradicate them?
      �You should identify yourself with the Society and the mission. You should work heart and soul for the cause. Then only will your heart get purified quickly. Here you work, and the work you did in your previous avocation was also work. But there is a vast difference between the two. There it was for remuneration. You always watched the clock. Here the only remuneration is knowledge and liberation. The highest reward presupposes the greatest exertion as well. Ever introspect and try to eradicate your egoism.
      �Some people foolishly think, �I renounced wealth and resigned a good job. I had plenty of land and property. These people here are treating me like a servant.� When you have renounced the world, when you have embraced the path of renunciation, where are property, job and position anymore? The sole and greatest property and position you have is renunciation. Do not boast. This will only fatten your egoism. Be humble. You should astound everyone by your humility.
      �Some aspirants are humble and obedient for a few years. My nature is to train every aspirant to develop all his faculties and thus become a dynamic worker. I teach aspirants every kind of work and try to mould them into perfect leaders. But they take undue advantage of this. When they have learnt a little of the Gita and Upanishads, when they can deliver some lectures, when they know how to manage an Ashram, they run away and wish to start independent Ashrams.
      �What is the big idea? They wish to be garlanded. They wish to be respected. They do not like anyone pointing out their defects. They wish to be treated like Mahants. Now think for a while. Here is an institution which has been created out of the hard labour of many over a long period. Work for it, then you will be respected everywhere, in all the branches of the Society. There is always a ready field for work. You can do tremendous service. If you start off independently, you will have to do all the organising work yourself and commence from the beginning.
      �Even till the very end of one�s life one should be vigilant against this egoism. It raises its head in various forms. Man is often deceived and side-tracked. Every aspirant should be vigilant. Every aspirant should welcome insult and injury. Every aspirant should learn to adapt himself, to humble himself, learn to introspect constantly and thus evolve rapidly.�

      To serve humunity while living in the world is superior to a life of seclulsion in a cave.

      Learn to live without the least inconvenience to others.

      Happiness comes to him who seeks the happiness of others.

      Majordomo@c... with the following message:
      subscribe sivananda name@e...

      Swami Chidananda invites you to the 2nd Global International
      Divine Life Society Conference
      30th December 2001 - 2nd January 2002 at
      Cuttack, Orissa, INDIA