226Sivananda Day-to-day (218)

    Mar 22, 2001

      We have some information about the book "Practice of Ayurveda" by
      Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj which was recently released at
      Rishikesh. This book is a complete guide to the theory and practice of
      ayurveda. It contains 286 pages and the chapters are:
      Ayurveda - Theory and Practice
      Ayurvedic Ethics
      Doctrine of Vatha-Pitta-Kaphas
      Doctrine of Rasa, Veeyra, Vipaka and Prabhava
      Hygienic Principles in Ayurveda
      Ayurveda on Diet
      Ayurvedic Psychology
      Nadi Vijnana
      Indian Surgery
      Ayurvedic Chikitsa
      Indian Materia Medica
      Home Remedies
      Common Herbs
      Charaka's Classification of Drugs
      Classification of Drugs - I
      Classification of Drugs - II
      Index to Therapeutic Action of Bazaar Drugs
      Ayurvedic Preparations Explained
      Kaya Kalpa
      The Rasayana Treatment

      The Appendix contains:
      Definitions in Ayurveda
      Rajo Dharma
      Nomenclature of Diseases
      Diseases of the Eyes
      Index to Diseases and Treatment
      Ayurvedic Quotations
      Ayurvedic Jottings
      Maharashi Chyavana and Chyananaprash
      The Bilwa Tree: Its Properties and Uses
      Saltless Diet
      Causes of Diseases
      The Three Pillars in Ayurveda
      Ayurveda - Although Ancient It Can Be Ever New

      This book can be purchased from our E-bookstore at:

      Sri Swami Ramaswarupanandaji was unable to send his monthly e-mail to
      devotees due to a problem with his computer. Swamiji has however posted
      it at:

      The latest DLS of Maryland's newsletter, Heart of Sivananda for January
      - March 2001 has been uploaded. The theme of this issue is True Yoga and
      Yoga Today. You can find this at:

      Swami NadaBrahmananda of the International Meditation Society in Canada
      has posted his account of a month spent teaching in Swami Krishnananda
      Yoga School, Valencia, Venezueala at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      KINDS OF VANITY: In the course of a conversation one of the visitors
      referred to an old acquaintance of the Master and said, "He has now
      fifteen cars, Swamiji, and he is rolling in wealth."

      Quick came the reply, "What good is all this? It only increases his

      Turning to the aspirants present, the Master added, "The other form of
      vanity is 'I have performed six lakhs of Om Namah Shivaya Japa'. All
      these kinds of egoism and vanity should be ruthlessly eradicated."

      "Serve and you will rule." - Swami Sivananda