208Sivananda Day-to-day (204)

    Dec 11, 2000
      Om Namo Bhagavate Dattatreyaya!

      December 11th is the advent of the great Guru Lord Dattatreya. There are
      several articles on our websites about Lord Dattatreya. They are:

      1) Dattatreya Jayanthi by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/hindufest.htm#_VPID_17

      2) The Divine Trinity by Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj (a new upload)
      at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/datta_chida.htm

      3) Lord Dattatreya--Master Par Excellence by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji
      Maharaj at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_19.html

      We have also uploaded an article by Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj on
      the spiritual significance of the Muslim holy month of Ramzan (or
      Ramadhan). The holy month of Ramadhan is from November 28th to December
      27th this year. This article is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/religions/ramzan.htm

      SERVICE, THE MASTER'S SALVATION: "Sastriji, I think I will never attain
      salvation. You see, worldly people are attached to their wives,
      children, family and properties, but I am attached to service and
      dissemination of spiritual knowledge. Even if the thought of running
      away into the forest comes to me, it leaves the next instant. The desire
      in me to work, work and work while this body lasts, to serve aspirants
      in every way I can, smothers in a trice such a desire for seclusion.
      What can I do? I think I will never get out of this circle. I will be
      born again and again in this world to serve the aspirants every time."

      "But, Swamiji, this thought very rarely comes even to saints. They are
      concerned only about themselves and feel that even answering the letters
      of spiritual aspirants or writing books on spiritual matters, based on
      their own experiences, go against their salvation. The spirit of service
      that literally possesses you is rarely found in anyone else."

      "But what about my salvation? All right, I should be content to wait
      till I have served you all to my satisfaction and till you have all
      attained salvation. Yes, that is right, I do not want to get salvation
      myself until everyone leading the divine life gets it. Till then I shall
      take any number of births and join the Divine Life Society."

      "Lord Dattatreya teaches us the lesson that the higher is one's
      knowledge, the humbler is that person. The larger is our wisdom, the
      smaller we look in the eyes of people. The nearer we are to God, the
      farther we appear from people's eyes." - Swami Krishnananda