203Sivananda Day-to-day (199)

    Nov 11, 2000

      We have been having problem with our Majordomo mailing list software
      since last Saturday. I have lost some files as a result of the problem.
      The e-mail addresses of some seekers who have subscribed to the list
      between October 26 and November 3rd are now lost. Seekers who have
      unsubscribed between these dates have not been removed from the list as
      yet. I am reverting back to the manual list until the problem is fixed.
      Please send all subscibe and unsubscribe requests to me at
      pannir@....

      We uploaded the biography of Guru Nanak (the founder of the Sikh
      religion) by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj in celebration of
      Guru Nanak's birthday today (Nov. 11). Guru Nanak's biography is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/saints/gurunanak.htm

      THE MASTER'S WORSHIP: What great delight the Master took in distributing
      prasad! Sri Chimanlal Thakore of Ahmedabad had sent a big parcel of
      sweetmeats. When this was announced, the Master at once jumped out of
      the office!

      "Bring the prasad in buckets," he said.

      The Master and Padmanabhan went round the entire Ashram.

      "Only Chimanlal Thakore and Mrs. Lall know me in this respect. Every
      year Mrs. Lall sends a large consignment of mangoes and Chimanlal these
      sweetmeats. I cannot give just a pinch of prasad to anyone. I must give
      to my entire satisfaction. And my family is large, so whoever sends
      prasad has to send a lot.

      "Om Namo Narayanaya, Swamiji! Come here, take this prasad."

      "Patram, pushpam, phalam, thoyam," (see Bhagavad Gita 9.26) the Master
      said as he greeted each one and gave handfuls of the prasad. The hands
      of the recipients were full but the Master would not stop.

      "Take it in that towel."

      "But Swamiji, I will fall sick."

      "Oh! Don't worry, I will give you some medicine." The Master then said,
      "I see Lord Narayana in everyone to whom I give the prasad. When I give
      I actually perform worship to the Lord. I utter 'Om Namo Narayanaya'
      when I meet everyone. This makes for Japa. Thus, even this action is
      converted into a potent form of Sadhana. The heart also is developed."

      "Guru Nanak came to the world with a message of peace, unity, love and
      devotion to God. He came at a time when there was fight between the
      Hindus and the Muslims--when real religion was replaced by mere rituals
      and forms. He came to preach the gospel of peace, brotherhood or the
      unity of humanity, love and sacrifice." - Swami Sivananda