199Sivananda Day-to-day (195)

    Oct 9, 2000

      We uploaded a book titled "Gurudev Swami Sivananda and Dr. Devaki Kutty
      Mataji" in commemoration of Dr. Devaki Kutty Mataji's 77th birthday
      anniversary yesterday (Oct. 8). This book was published during Mataji's
      75th birthday anniversary. This book contains among others:
      1) Two articles on Mataji by Sri Swami Chidanandaji and Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji.
      2) Two lectures by Mataji on the life and teachings of Gurudev.
      3) A talk on Mataji and her family by Gurudev.
      4) Gurudev's letters to Mataji.

      This book can be downloaded from:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#gurudevaki

      REAL SPIRITUAL PRACTICE: "Swamiji, I require your blessings. I am
      thinking of leaving for Benares today," said Sri Ramachandra Iyer, who
      had a slight misunderstanding with some other workers in the Ashram and
      had decided to leave.

      "Beloved Ram, sit down. Do not jump to conclusions. Think twice before
      you act. Now tell me, for what purpose have you come here?"

      "I have come to do Sadhana and realise God, Swamiji."

      "Do you know what Sadhana is?"

      "I have read in your books, Swamiji, that Sadhana is self-control, Japa,
      Kirtan and service."

      "Have you thought over the matter for a moment? Is this action of yours
      of leaving the Ashram and going to Benares in consonance with your own
      resolve of doing Sadhana and realising God?"

      Silence.

      "Sadhana is, as you yourself have rightly said, self-control.
      Self-control means the maintenance of mental equilibrium under all
      conditions and circumstances. A minor remark from someone has upset you
      greatly; you are not able to bear a little harsh word."

      "But, Swamiji, such things disturb my peace of mind. I wish to have
      peace."

      "Will you get that peace in Benares only? If you do not get peace of
      mind here, you will not get it anywhere else. Peace is within you. Think
      again. Stay here for another three days more. Then come and tell me if
      you still feel like going to Benares."

      Silence.

      "Can you visualise what you will feel three days later? Beloved
      Ramachandraji, the whole thing will appear like a dream. You will
      realise that the offensive words were mere vibrations in the air. Now
      you are excited. This excitement blinds your vision. You are not able to
      discriminate, to reason properly. When your mind cools down you will
      surely realise your mistake."

      Sri Ramachandra Iyer is immersed in deep thought.

      "Where else will you get such a spiritual atmosphere? There is the
      temple here. You can attend the worship both morning and evening and get
      hot, hot kitchadie prasad (rice and lentil stew) also. There is the
      Bhajan hall where you can do unbroken Kirtan for a few hours daily. Even
      if you sit for a few minutes in the Bhajan hall you will feel elevated.
      Ganges bath, good food, tea, milk and fruit--oh! it is a blessing to
      live here. When you go out and suffer, you will realise the difficulties
      of worldly life.

      "My dear Ramji, so many people are daily writing to me that they cannot
      live in the world any more and wish to join the Ashram after resigning
      their jobs. The Lord Himself is looking after us. The entire place is
      filled with the peace vibrations of sages and saints of yore. Therefore,
      we are ever content and peaceful. This is the best place for your
      Sadhana. Why do you think of running here and there? Ohji, give up this
      idea."

      Sri Ramachandra Iyer prostrates to the Master. He has decided to stay.
      He is completely transformed now!