182Sivananda Day-to-day (181)

    Jul 5, 2000

      We have uploaded a discourse by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj
      titled the Doctrine of Prapatti (self-surrender). In this discourse
      Gurudev explains the meaning of self-surrender, the difficulties
      commonly faced by aspirants in surrendering to the Lord and how to
      effect unconditional surrender. This discourse is at:

      Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji's book "Sivananda Daily Readings" is now
      available in its entirety. Sivananda Daily Readings is a compilation of
      Gurudev's teachings for daily study. Read a page a day with faith, love
      and devotion and watch your daily life transform into a divine life of
      peace, bliss and wisdom. This book can be downloaded from the Divine
      Life Society of Maryland's website at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      TRUE RENUNCIATION: "Neither want nor give up--this should be the
      attitude of a Vedantin. He should not say, 'I have given up salt; I have
      given up sugar.' No, not even 'I have given up the world.' He should be
      quite indifferent. He should rest in his own essential divine nature and
      realise the unity of existence. He should always see Brahman alone in
      everything and everywhere," the Master said when a certain Swami quietly
      placed a packet of sweet-meats--a visitor's offering--on his table and
      walked away. In such cases the conveyor usually got the first and lion's
      share of the offering. The young disciple, who was full of dispassion,
      was reluctant to put himself in that position.

      "The Lord knows what is good for you infinitely better than you do. To
      resign absolutely to His Will is even a higher form of worship than
      visiting holy places and performing all sorts of ritualistic ceremonies.
      The Lord is waiting with outstretched hands to welcome you with His
      sweet smiling face, full of love and mercy. Lift up your face and
      approach Him with childlike simplicity, innocence and frankness. Speak
      out your heart to Him. Do unconditional, total self-surrender. If you
      could do willing, unconditioned, unreserved, absolute surrender, then
      all your duties and responsibilities are over. From then on God will
      take care of you in all respects. God will do everything for you, and
      you will find that favourable conditions are created for leading a
      virtuous and higher life." - Swami Sivananda