Blog Posts Versus Email - Which is Better for Marketing?

  • Judy Murdoch
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2010
      A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Judy Murdoch

      Article Title:
      Blog Posts Versus Email - Which is Better for Marketing?

      Article Description:
      Up until fairly recently, when you wanted to keep in touch
      with customers and prospects, you used email to send
      periodic messages to people who opted-in to receive your
      mailings. People are suggesting that with the rise of
      blogging, that the death knell of email is upon us. This
      article will consider the demise of opt-in email as the best
      way to communicate with your customers.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2010-11-04 10:45:00

      Written By: Judy Murdoch
      Copyright: 2010
      Contact Email: mailto:judy@...

      For more free-reprint articles by Judy Murdoch, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/judy-murdoch.html

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/m/blog-posts-versus-email.shtml#get_code

      Blog Posts Versus Email - Which is Better for Marketing?
      Copyright (c) 2010 Judy Murdoch
      Highly Contagious Marketing
      http://www.judymurdoch.com/workbook.htm

      There's been an interesting discussion going on in a class I'm
      co-facilitating about the best way to reach customers and
      prospective customers:

      * Should you post your articles on a blog?

      * Should you email those articles to people who have subscribed
      to your list?

      * Or something else?

      The Death of Opt-in Email?

      Up until fairly recently, when you wanted to keep in touch with
      customers and prospects, you used email to send periodic messages
      to people who opted-in to receive your mailings.

      For example, since 2005 I've been emailing my Contagious
      Marketing Ezine on a monthly basis (more recently bi-monthly).

      Over the past few years, blogging has generated a lot of
      excitement as the best, coolest way to market your products and
      services online and the word is that "email is history. "

      Arguments in favor of Email's impending demise include:

      * Email is less and less successful when it comes to reaching
      peoples' in-boxes.

      People are so sick of spam, they're using aggressive settings to
      get rid of anything that has the faintest whiff of being an
      unwanted sales pitch.

      More often your email is languishing in a Junk Mail folder ... or
      even going straight to the Trash.

      * People are reluctant to share any personal information
      including their email address.

      You don't need to share any information when you are visiting a
      blog to access free articles, services, and so on.

      * People don't have time to read articles. Blog posts are
      shorter and better fit our limited attention spans.

      * Blogs and social media applications like Twitter and Facebook
      allow people to interact. Email is only one way.

      The "impending death of email" makes many small business owners
      nervous: should they invest any time or effort into growing an
      opt-in subscriber list? Or should they bag the idea of a
      subscriber list and just work on their blogs?

      Opt-in Email: Not Dead Yet Baby

      Although blogs and social media have opened up some very cool
      ways of connecting businesses to a communities which include but
      are not limited to their customers, I believe opt-in email still
      has a place in your small business' marketing strategy.

      * An opt-in is a higher form of commitment.

      When we give something, even something very small like our email
      address and permission for someone to send us stuff on a regular
      basis, we are making a small but significant commitment.

      It is an action that tells the business owner that we are
      interested in what they are offering.

      * Because of the implied commitment, an opt-in allows more
      latitude for offering products and services you are selling.
      People are a lot more sensitive about blogs posts and social
      media that push sales pitches their way.

      Personally, I have no problem reading an offer emailed to me if I
      opted into the list. But if someone I follow on Twitter, for
      instance, sends me a direct message asking me to "check out"
      some program they're selling, I stop following them.

      * Opt-in email allows you to control who gets what and when.

      Most opt-in email management services like Aweber, Constant
      Contact, MailChimp, etc allow you to create different groups to
      whom you can customize offers and information.

      * Some people just aren't open to getting information through
      blogs. I'm horribly embarrassed to admit this publicly but I
      rarely, if ever, read my RSS feeds. I use blogs quite a bit,
      especially when I'm doing research and want to find out what
      others have to say on a topic but as way to keep in touch with a
      business, nope, I still prefer getting articles emailed to my
      inbox.

      My Recommendation: a Hybrid Solution Rather than dumping one or
      the other, I use and recommend you consider using a "hybrid
      solution which allows you to take advantage of both technologies
      so that you can benefit from the unique benefits each offers.

      Here's what I do which, so far, has worked for me and adds
      minimal work:

      1. I write my articles as blog posts directly within my blog.

      2. Once my post is finished and edited, I copy and past the post
      as a message in aweber. Aweber is the service I use to email my
      articles to everyone subscribing to my Contagious Marketing
      ezine.

      3. I use the application, Ping.fm to send a new post to my
      Facebook, Linked In and Twitter accounts which announces the new
      article and provides a link for anyone wanting to read it.

      And voila! People who prefer to get my article emailed to their
      inbox get the article. People who prefer to subscribe to my blog
      get the article via RSS feed and people who follow me on Twitter
      or Facebook or LinkedIn get a link to the article post on my
      blog.

      It isn't a perfect system: I include offers to buy products and
      services in my email articles. I don't currently sell much on my
      blog.

      And I'm still getting a sense of what kinds of offers work using
      Twitter and Facebook.

      But it allows me to reach people who prefer opt-in email and
      people who prefer subscribing to blog posts and allows me to
      benefit from including offers as well as encouraging the two-way
      conversation that blogs facilitate.

      Bottom Line

      If you're a small business owner trying to sort through how best
      to communicate regularly with customers and other communities, I
      encourage you to use both opt-in email AND blogging.

      Both methods offer unique advantages and you can adapt a system
      like mine which allows you to send your messages through both
      without spending much extra time.

      Judy Murdoch helps small business owners create low-cost,
      effective marketing campaigns using word-of-mouth referrals,
      guerrilla marketing activities, and selected strategic alliances.
      To download a free copy of the workbook, "Where Does it Hurt?
      Marketing Solutions to the problems that Drive Your Customers
      Crazy!" go to http://www.judymurdoch.com/workbook.htm
      You can contact Judy at 303-475-2015 or judy@...

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/m/blog-posts-versus-email.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Judy Murdoch can be reached at:
      judy@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:judy@...

      Article Marketing Ebook at: