Marketing for Introverts: Ignore the Shoulds and Blaze Your Own Trail

  • Marcia Yudkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2010
      A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Marcia Yudkin

      Article Title:
      Marketing for Introverts: Ignore the Shoulds and Blaze Your Own Trail

      Article Description:
      If you're an introvert in business, should you force
      yourself to market in a way that doesn't match who you are?
      No! Find out why.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2010-11-04 10:30:00

      Written By: Marcia Yudkin
      Copyright: 2010
      Contact Email: mailto:marcia@...

      Marcia Yudkin's Picture URL:
      http://thephantomwriters.com/client-img/yudkin4412crop.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Marcia Yudkin, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/marcia-yudkin.html

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/y/blazing-marketing-trails.shtml#get_code

      Marketing for Introverts: Ignore the Shoulds and Blaze Your Own Trail
      Copyright (c) 2010 Marcia Yudkin
      Creative Marketing Solutions
      http://www.yudkin.com/

      In a survey I conducted of more than 300 self-described
      introverts, an astounding 95 percent said they sometimes or often
      felt "That's just not me!" when reading experts' marketing
      advice. To me, that shows marketing experts haven't been
      sensitive to the issue of personality preferences when
      recommending marketing tactics.

      Start reading marketing advice online, and it doesn't take long
      until you run up against recommendations that feel alien to those
      who reserve self-disclosures for close friends and family
      members, look down on name droppers and would never in a million
      years disclose, let alone brag about, their earnings.

      It's next to impossible to excel at something that you resist or
      resent. And that explains why introverts often get into a
      self-defeating spiral when it comes to marketing: It feels
      foreign and you flub it. Or you feel inauthentic and your
      hold-back comes across. Or you "forget" to take care of the
      marketing tasks on your to-do list.

      My approach is different. I believe we should rarely force
      ourselves to do something that we strongly believe doesn't match
      who we are.

      This doesn't mean turning into a not-for-me sloth, of course. It
      means starting from a recognition of what you do enjoy and how
      you shine. Even the most withdrawn, asocial person has some
      aspects of their personality that can become magnetic when
      properly highlighted.

      In addition, like me at one time, you may have a distorted
      recognition of your capabilities and blossom as a marketer after
      divesting yourself of societal stereotypes and reclaiming your
      strengths.

      For example, I grew up believing that only those who commanded
      attention at the dinner table or in the classroom could excel at
      public speaking, acting or performing. That was a thoroughly
      mistaken and damaging belief. There are hundreds of well-known
      contemporary and historical figures who misprove it, from Abraham
      Lincoln and Calvin Coolidge in politics to Steve Martin and Meryl
      Streep in acting to Garrison Keillor and Diane Sawyer in
      broadcasting - all introverts and all successful in attaining and
      keeping public attention.

      As a coach, I regularly catch clients voicing "shoulds" or
      "musts" that they've unthinkingly accepted, as well as
      negative self-judgments that are at odds with objective facts.
      After we give those ideas a critical look, clients feel freer to
      choose marketing methods that they can fully commit themselves
      to.

      Are you ready for the success that follows self-acceptance? Are
      you willing to blaze your unique trail?

      A bookworm as a child, Marcia Yudkin grew up to discover she
      had a surprising talent for creative marketing. She's the
      author of more than a dozen books, including 6 Steps to Free
      Publicity, now in its third edition, and Persuading People to
      Buy. She also mentors introverts so they discover their
      uniquely powerful branding and most comfortable marketing
      strategies. To learn more about the strengths and preferences
      of introverts, download her free Marketing for Introverts
      audio manifesto: http://www.yudkin.com/introverts.htm

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/y/blazing-marketing-trails.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Marcia Yudkin can be reached at:
      marcia@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:marcia@...

      Article Marketing Ebook at:

      *
      *
      * sitesandzines@yahoogroups.com
      *

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by:

      Bill Platt
      3010 E Raintree
      Stillwater, Oklahoma USA 74074

      and opinion of its author, Marcia Yudkin
      http://www.yudkin.com/