Is This Such A Thing As An Info Product in a Day?

  • Judy Murdoch
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2 9:45 AM
      A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Judy Murdoch

      Article Title:
      Is This Such A Thing As An Info Product in a Day?

      Article Description:
      There are lots of books and programs promising you that you
      can "create a product in a day." You can create a product
      that you can sell to customers in the time it takes to, say,
      get your car washed, go to the post office, get through your
      email, and fix dinner. How totally cool would that be?

      Additional Article Information:

      Distribution Date and Time: 2010-11-02 11:45:00

      Written By: Judy Murdoch
      Copyright: 2010
      Contact Email: mailto:judy@...

      For more free-reprint articles by Judy Murdoch, please visit:

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:

      Is This Such A Thing As An Info Product in a Day?
      Copyright (c) 2010 Judy Murdoch
      Highly Contagious Marketing

      Introduction: Saga of the Sea Monkeys

      When I was about 10-years old, I really wanted a cat. My mom,
      however, was opposed to this idea. In her opinion cats (and dogs)
      were bringers of dirt and chaos into a home she tried so hard to
      keep clean and orderly.

      The exception to my mom's rule were things like goldfish and
      turtles because they were small and were not going to wander
      through the house, get into the garbage, or scratch the

      But, let's face it, goldfish and turtles are boring and the ones
      I bought at the dime store had an unfortunate tendency to die
      within the week.

      So I was delighted when I saw an ad for Sea Monkeys on the back
      of comic book.

      Maybe you remember Sea Monkeys from your own childhood. Maybe you
      don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

      Sea Monkeys were introduced in the 1960's by Harold Von Braunhut
      (who also marketed X-Ray Specs). The ads were brilliant: a
      well-known comic illustrator portrayed sea monkeys as cute,
      human-looking sea creatures. One illustration showed a Sea Monkey
      family with a mom, dad, and two kids. The mom even had a bow in
      her hair.

      For a ten-year old who wanting a cool pet, Sea Monkeys seemed
      like the perfect solution. Sea Monkeys could be kept in a fish
      tank so they wouldn't disrupt the household AND according the
      ad, you could train Sea Monkeys to do cool tricks.

      So I put two-dollars in an envelope and anxiously awaited the
      arrival of my awesome new friends.

      When the package arrived, I immediately got to work setting up
      the little Sea Monkey habitat and opened the packet of Sea Monkey

      Then I waited for my Sea Monkeys to hatch so I could play with my
      Sea Monkey family.

      After waiting the prescribed time I check the Sea Monkey habitat,
      but I couldn't see anything. I re-read the instructions which
      told me Sea Monkeys are actually quite small and putting the
      habitat near a good light source would make them easier to see.

      And there they were, my Sea Monkeys, tiny, nearly transparent,
      and insect-like. I didn't get a rockin' family to play with. I
      got plankton.

      Now I'm not bashing Sea Monkeys which are currently marketed by
      Transcience Corp. Most kids, including me, knew at some level
      that those comic book ads sounded a little "too good to be

      Which brings me to the subject of this article.

      "Instant Product" - Really!?

      There are lots of books and programs promising you that you can
      "create a product in a day."

      If you are a busy, busy business owner, this sounds fantastic.
      Imagine, you don't need to buy fancy software or special
      equipment. You can create a product that you can sell to
      customers in the time it takes to, say, get your car washed, go
      to the post office, get through your email, and fix dinner.

      How totally cool would that be?

      The Reality: Kind of

      I work a lot with small business owners who want to create
      information products. Specifically information products that
      customers will love because those products are relevant, easy to
      use, and get results.

      Is it really possible to create a substantive, useful information
      product in a few hours?

      The answer is, yes, but it's important to keep in mind that a
      product you create in a few hours is likely the result of months
      even years of training and experience.

      True Story: How I Created a Product in a Day!

      For example, a couple weeks ago a client was having trouble
      writing a sales page for a new service she was offering.

      She just couldn't figure out what information should go in what
      part of her offer. Did she need to include some sort of marketing
      copy? Where should details like class time and dates go? Should
      she include a money-back guarantee, etc.

      It seemed to me that a "map" of a sales page might help. So I
      created a screen shot of a sales page I had worked on and added
      labels and call outs which explained each section of the offer.

      It took a few hours to put the sales page map together and then
      it was ready to go.

      BUT ...

      The reason I was able to put together the sales page map so
      quickly is because I've been creating sales pages for years and
      teaching business owners how to do sales pages for years.

      Over time I've developed a perspective around what works and
      what doesn't work.

      All of this time, experience, and care went into the product I

      If I had created a product but

      * didn't know what I was talking about or

      * just parroted information I'd learned from a book or a course
      without adding my own perspective and voice

      * did the equivalent of a "data dump" in which I simply wrote
      down what I knew as a disorganized, jargon-filled mish mosh.

      I might have a product but it wouldn't be a product that my
      customers would see as valuable. And if they don't get value
      chances are pretty good that:

      * They won't be coming back to buy more from me

      * They aren't going to tell their friends and colleagues to buy
      from me

      * They may even have some not-so-nice things to say about me
      which they will share with their hundreds perhaps thousands of
      friends on Facebook and Twitter

      Bottom Line

      You probably can create a quality information product in an hour
      but the "one hour" is misleading because:

      * the product is based on years of experience in the field;
      knowing what works and what doesn't, personal analysis and
      thought, and learning

      * the product is also likely the result of collaboration - from
      beta testers, from peer input, and from ??

      * the product is going to be tweaked and refined before it's in
      a space to really stand on it's own and make money

      Otherwise, your one hour product is probably info crap and you
      can expect people to pay what they usually pay for

      Judy Murdoch helps small business owners create low-cost,
      effective marketing campaigns using word-of-mouth referrals,
      guerrilla marketing activities, and selected strategic alliances.
      To download a free copy of the workbook, "Where Does it Hurt?
      Marketing Solutions to the problems that Drive Your Customers
      Crazy!" go to http://www.judymurdoch.com/workbook.htm
      You can contact Judy at 303-475-2015 or judy@...

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Judy Murdoch can be reached at:

      for Print Permission at:

      Article Marketing Ebook at:

      * sitesandzines@yahoogroups.com

      are owned and operated by: