Why Ker-chunk Needs to Proceed Ker-ching

  • Judy Murdoch
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2010
      A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Judy Murdoch

      Article Title:
      Why Ker-chunk Needs to Proceed Ker-ching

      Article Description:
      This morning I was working with a client who was feeling
      some frustration around defining the niche for their
      business: "Why is picking a niche so hard?" my client
      wanted to know.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2010-08-03 12:15:00

      Written By: Judy Murdoch
      Copyright: 2010
      Contact Email: mailto:judy@...

      For more free-reprint articles by Judy Murdoch, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/judy-murdoch.html

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/m/defining-the-niche.shtml#get_code

      Why Ker-chunk Needs to Proceed Ker-ching
      Copyright (c) 2010 Judy Murdoch
      Highly Contagious Marketing
      http://www.judymurdoch.com/workbook.htm

      This morning I was working with a client who was feeling some
      frustration around defining the niche for their business:

      * it started as "small business coaching"...

      * got a little more specific as "small 'green' business
      coaching"...

      * took a 180-degree turn to non-profit organization coaching...

      * and turn another 180-degrees back to "small business coaching

      "Why is picking a niche so hard?" my client wanted to know.

      Choosing a Niche for Your Business Can Be Really Hard

      My client isn't alone. In fact she has excellent company: like
      me.

      Yes, even marketing "experts" like yours truly can struggle
      with saying who they help.

      In my case, selecting a niche has been an 8-year process and in
      all honesty I still squirm a little when I have to tell people
      who I work with.

      For a long time I told people I was a "small business marketing
      coach." More often then not this would get a response like "So
      what is it that you do?"

      And I'd babble on and on about developing marketing messages and
      setting up marketing systems and revenue streams and so on.

      If the other person was polite they'd try to figure out whether
      what I was talking about would be helpful to them in some way. If
      the other person was not so polite, they were already getting a
      drink at the bar.

      Being a marketing person you'd think I'd know better. You'd
      think I would know that the first step for effective marketing is
      to choose a niche.

      But I just couldn't do it even as I told my clients that's what
      they needed to do.

      What Enabled Me to Finally Step Forward

      A couple years ago, I was attending a business seminar to learn
      about how to put the pieces in place needed to create a
      sustainably profitable business.

      We were doing a role play in which we were have a challenging
      conversation with another person. The idea was to use what we had
      learned about ourselves and our business as a foundation to deal
      with difficult situations.

      My dreaded situation was when someone would ask "So what is it
      exactly that you do?" And my partner looked me in the eye and
      asked me "So Judy, what exactly is it that you do."

      I paused for a second and listened to my heart and blurted out,
      "I love you and your business so that your customers can know
      about you and love you too."

      Inelegant, not your typical 60-second elevator pitch but my
      partner smiled at me and said, "Wow, I really felt that. I
      wouldn't hesitate to hire you."

      That was when things went "Ker-chunk" for me and for
      prospective clients.

      Because the truth of the matter is, for me, marketing is about
      love. More specifically, marketing is about communicating what
      you love to do and how you love to help people because when your
      ideal customers feel that sincerity in their hearts --- it's
      easy to say "yes."

      Customers saying, "yes" is the Ker-ching.

      Keys for Getting to Ker-chunk

      Knowing how tricky it is to name your niche, here are some keys
      to make the process easier.

      #1. Manage the Risk

      One thing we forget is that no one is carving your niche
      definition in stone.

      There's no rule saying Thou shalt not change thy niche.

      You can change your niche.

      But I'm going to qualify this by saying, you must make some kind
      of commitment around how long you'll work in your niche. A
      commitment of six months to a year.

      Again, not carved in stone. But it's a long enough time to know
      whether it feels like the right place for your business.

      #2. Make Sure Your Heart Has a Say in Selecting Your Niche

      For all of us, myself included, we tend to approach business
      decisions very logically. There are programs and spreadsheets
      where you can put in the pros and cons and get a recommendation
      for what to do.

      I'm going to suggest you use your reasoning abilities as one
      source of information and let your heart make the final vote.

      Why? Because I have made many, many business decisions in my
      career. When I based my decision purely on rational factors and
      my heart was waving a red flag that read, "Something about this
      doesn't feel right" I nearly always regretted my decision.

      Listen to your heart and your intuition. Take a break if you need
      to and quiet your thoughts. And then ask your heart, "is this
      true to my highest intentions?"

      Then listen and be willing to be surprised.

      #3. Your Niche Definition Has to Be Specific Enough for Customers
      to Know You're Talking to Them

      Another thing that makes business owners nervous is around
      specificity: how specific does their definition need to be?

      It feels like every qualifier you add: age, gender, attitudes,
      and so on is yet another obstacle to finding customers.

      My teacher, Mark Silver, has a great way to address this. He
      says, "your definition only needs to be specific enough so that
      your ideal customers recognize themselves when you tell people
      who you work with.

      I love Mark's definition of who he works with: "small business
      owners who want to make a difference and need to make a profit."

      It's simple and yet anyone who is an ideal customer for Mark
      immediately feels like he's talking to them.

      Bottom Line

      Being specific is scary because it means taking a stand for what
      you do. And when you take a stand, sometimes people push back;
      they don't like your decision for whatever reason.

      But when you do articulate who you help and do so in a heart-felt
      way you allow customers to connect from a place of trust. You
      create a space for their hearts to settle into and to receive
      your support. Ker-chunk!

      And when the "ker-chunk" happens, prospective customers can
      open up and say, "Hey, I'm feeling like you can really help me
      with this problem. I'd like to hire you."

      Ker-ching!

      Judy Murdoch helps small business owners create low-cost,
      effective marketing campaigns using word-of-mouth referrals,
      guerrilla marketing activities, and selected strategic alliances.
      To download a free copy of the workbook, "Where Does it Hurt?
      Marketing Solutions to the problems that Drive Your Customers
      Crazy!" go to http://www.judymurdoch.com/workbook.htm
      You can contact Judy at 303-475-2015 or judy@...

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/m/defining-the-niche.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Judy Murdoch can be reached at:
      judy@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:judy@...

      Article Marketing Ebook at: