Book Authors: How To Sell More Books And Get Your Publisher Active

  • Bill Platt
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2009
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bill Platt
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * sitesandzines@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      Book Authors: How To Sell More Books And Get Your Publisher Active

      Article Description:
      ====================

      It is an unfortunate reality that most people who write books
      believe that their publisher will always put their best foot
      forward, to promote their book. In the real world, it does not
      quite work that way.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2009-04-08 11:00:00

      Written By: Bill Platt
      Copyright: 2006-2009
      Contact Email: mailto:comments@...

      Bill Platt's Picture URL:
      http://thephantomwriters.com/x-images/bill_platt_80x105b.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Bill Platt, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/bill-platt.html

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=2812&p=load

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/book-authors-can-sell-more-books.shtml#get_code

      Book Authors: How To Sell More Books And Get Your Publisher Active
      Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Bill Platt
      the Phantom Writers
      http://thePhantomWriters.com

      It is an unfortunate reality that most people who write books
      believe that their publisher will always put their best foot
      forward, to promote their book. In the real world, it does not
      quite work that way.

      Let me put this in perspective for you.

      THE PROFIT-LOSS EQUATION IN BOOK PUBLISHING

      It is a financial matter of profits and losses. The book
      publishing world is much different than what many of us believe
      it is or that we believe it should be.

      The average publisher will only print 1,000 copies of a book.
      They do this because the average book will sell an average of 400
      or 500 copies.

      When a publisher takes on a new title, it is a real gamble.
      Publishers are gambling that the books they take on will generate
      sales of 1,000 copies, and on rare occasions, they can hope for a
      book to sell a full 5,000 copies.

      The book that sells 100,000 or one million copies is extremely
      rare.

      With more than 100,000 books being printed every year, fewer than
      one percent of those books will see sales in the range of 5,000
      or more copies. Every publisher has hopes that one of the 1,000
      books every year that will sell at least 5,000 copies is one of
      the books sold through their publishing house. These are the
      books that will help the publisher to make a real profit this
      year.

      One publisher told me that he lets his editors take care of the
      full book editing and development process. And, he said that he
      will not even pay attention to the book, until the book sells
      5,000 copies. Only then will he consider reading the book himself
      and cranking up his marketing department to try to sell the book
      to a wider audience.

      So, here it is in a nutshell. If you are a new book author, and
      you would like to see your book get some serious attention from
      your publisher and the public, then you need to step up to the
      plate and promote your book in such a way, as you can ensure that
      your book will sell 5,000 copies or more.

      These days, most publishers will put up single webpages offering
      each of their books to the public. As a writer of the book, you
      should not believe that this page will be a well-written,
      well-optimized page on the internet.

      Don't fool yourself... The webpage where your book is offered
      generally will not get great rankings in the search engines for
      the keywords relevent to the topic of your book. Additionally,
      the sales copy will not be set up in such a way as to give much
      confidence to your potential buyers.

      Print book publishers don't do a good job building online
      promotional materials for a book, until they put their best
      people on the job. And, the publisher will not put their best
      people on the job until they believe that they have a winner in
      their stable.

      As a writer, if you want your book to be anything more than a
      dust-catcher on your own shelf, you need to learn to be a book
      promoter also.

      HOW TO SELL YOUR FIRST 5,000 BOOKS

      As a book author, there are three basic steps that you will want
      to undertake to promote your book online.

      1. Set up a domain website,

      2. Promote your book with articles,

      3. Promote your book with press releases.

      In this article, I am going to take a look at how and why you
      will want to consider each of these steps.

      1. SET UP A DOMAIN WEBSITE

      Yes, you need a "domain" website. A free page on Geocities.com
      or Freeservers.com will not instill confidence with your
      potential customers. Let's face it, the most important marketing
      consideration for any product or service to be sold on the
      internet today is to build the "trust factor".

      A person, who is being asked to take out their wallet, wants to
      know that they will get what they have paid for. Free sites
      cannot be traced to anyone in particular, and commercial websites
      on the free servers are considered in general to be owned by the
      fly-by-night outfits on the internet.

      We have to give our potential customers the confidence they need
      to buy products and services from us. And, in order to give our
      potential customers confidence, we must be willing to spend a few
      of our own dollars to set up a website.

      You can actually register a domain for less than $20 in most
      cases. Hosting for that domain can be picked up from hundreds of
      web hosting companies for as little as $10-$20 per month.

      On your website, you want to tell readers about your book and why
      your reader might want to buy your book. On your website, be
      certain to also ask your reader for the sale, and give them a
      link where they can buy your book.

      Including testimonials and book reviews on your website, will
      also help you to build interest and trust with your readers.

      Sometimes, it can pay dividends to hire a web designer to design
      the visual template for your website, and to hire a sales
      copywriter to write your sales copy for the book.

      One thing to keep in mind is that not all web designers can write
      good salescopy, and few copywriters make good web designers.

      When you can afford to do so, you should seriously consider
      hiring a professional to do the tasks necessary to build a nice
      website and to put good salescopy onto your website. Great web
      designers will also help you by building your e-commerce system,
      so that your readers can buy directly from your website.

      The professionals do not have to be really expensive. Both can
      usually be found for a couple hundred dollars. Of course, you
      could pay more, but you can still find some good people at these
      rates.

      2. PROMOTE YOUR BOOK WITH FREE-REPRINT ARTICLES

      Free-Reprint Articles are informational pieces designed to
      educate the reader about something of interest to the reader.

      In an article, your goal is to talk about some topic that is
      related to the topic of your book. You don't actually want to
      sell your book inside the body of the article. Instead, you want
      to use your article to introduce your readers to concepts that
      might be covered in your book.

      When you reach the end of the article, you want to include your
      About The Author information (often referred to as your Resource
      Box). Keep your sales material in your Resource Box, but keep in
      mind that your goal is not to sell your book in your Resource
      Box. Instead, your goal is to use your Resource Box to get the
      reader to your website, then use your website to sell your book.

      Many people ask if article promotion will work for them. This is
      what I tell them.

      The ability of an article to produce results for you will depend
      on your article. The internet is still a democracy in that people
      will make the choice for themselves whether or not they want to
      use your article.

      Some articles get lots of reprints, some do not. The average
      outcome is about 40-50 backlinks and multiple publications in
      ezines.

      Poor articles still get an average of ten reprints. Exceptional
      articles generate in excess of thousands of reprints. The results
      really do rely upon the article.

      (One client of mine has one article that generated more than
      5,000 reprints in two years time. This same client has written
      more than 100 articles. He is a well-known article writer and
      this fact does help his ability to generate more mileage from a
      single article.)

      Just as important as the article itself, is the author resource
      box. The article is the vehicle to get your resource box seen. A
      good resource box offers just enough information to inspire the
      reader to visit your website to learn more about your book. A
      good resource box also offers a strong call-to-action to get the
      reader to your website. Let your website do the selling, but use
      the resource box to get the reader to your website.

      Also, you really should consider doing more than one article over
      a longer period of time. For example, six articles over six
      months. Each subsequent article puts your name in front of the
      publishers who will use your articles. Name recognition will help
      your overall ability for getting published.

      3. PROMOTE YOUR BOOK WITH PRESS RELEASES

      I always recommend a two-fold approach to any book promotion. 1)
      reprint articles related to the topic of the book. 2) Press
      releases distributed through a system such as
      http://www.prweb.com .

      Press releases are different from an article. A good article will
      have an educational or informational slant to them. A good press
      release will be designed more as a news story. A good press
      release has the most noteworthy news in the first paragraph, the
      second most noteworthy information in the second paragraph, etc.

      Additonally, the press release will provide a telephone number
      for news reporters to contact you for more information concerning
      your story, so that they can build their own news story from your
      information.

      Although the premise of a press release is so that a reporter can
      learn enough to build their own news story, you have to remember
      that their schedule is tight as well. Build your press release in
      such a way that it can be used as THE news story. Many people
      will take your press release verbatum for their own use. They
      might take only the first paragraph, and then they might take the
      whole thing.

      Build your press release with the hope that it will be used in
      full. Build your press release with the thought that the reporter
      may only use the first paragraph.

      Be prepared to receive phone calls to answer questions about your
      topic. And, be prepared when no one calls.

      I have sent out more than a dozen press releases myself. I have
      seen those press releases read thousands of times and used
      hundreds of times. And yet, no one has ever called me for more
      information.

      IN CONCLUSION...

      Book promotion should not be viewed as a one-time event. If you
      take the idea that I will try this once to see if it works, then
      you might as well save your time and money and not even try at
      all.

      Promotion is an ongoing process. Nothing will happen until you do
      something. And then you will need to keep doing something to keep
      open the possibility of something happening to your benefit.

      You need to build up a momentum, and then just keep on running.

      You are more likely to get published and to sell books if people
      recognize your name. And, one-time out will not allow anyone to
      get to know you.

      Book authors who can build up a promotional momentum for their
      book are very likely to find their first 5,000 sales. And as a
      general rule, once you have crossed that threshold, your
      publisher will be more than happy to help you to keep that
      momentum going.

      Bill Platt is the owner of http://thePhantomWriters.com
      Bill specializes in distributing free reprint articles to help
      his clients to promote an online businesses or a book.
      If you would like someone to help pay for the costs of article
      distribution, consider the co-op advertising program at:
      http://www.SponsorArticles.com

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/book-authors-can-sell-more-books.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Bill Platt can be reached at:
      comments@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:comments@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Bill Platt

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2011
        A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bill Platt

        Article Title:
        Book Authors: How To Sell More Books And Get Your Publisher Active

        Article Description:
        It is an unfortunate reality that most people who write books
        believe that their publisher will always put their best foot
        forward, to promote their book. In the real world, it does not
        quite work that way.

        Additional Article Information:
        ===============================

        Distribution Date and Time: 2011-08-23 11:15:00

        Written By: Bill Platt
        Copyright: 2006-2011
        Contact Email: mailto:comments@...

        Bill Platt's Picture URL:
        http://thephantomwriters.com/x-images/bill_platt_80x105b.jpg

        For more free-reprint articles by Bill Platt, please visit:
        http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/bill-platt.html

        Versions Of Article Are Available at:
        http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/book-authors-can-sell-more-books.shtml#get_code

        Book Authors: How To Sell More Books And Get Your Publisher Active
        Copyright (c) 2006-2011 Bill Platt
        the Phantom Writers
[...]

        If you want to learn how to make article marketing effective
        and profitable for the promotion of your online business, you
        will be able to locate several article marketing training guides
        at http://WritingPuzzle.com/ If you are looking for an article
        syndication service company to help you promote your online
        articles, explore http://thephantomwriters.com/ which has been
        providing article marketing services since 2001. Bill Platt is
        the owner of both of these web properties.

        --- END ARTICLE ---

        http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/book-authors-can-sell-more-books.shtml#get_code

        TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
        (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

        The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

        *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

        Hyperlinks (clickable links).

        within the article.

        *** Author Notification ***

        or her work. Bill Platt can be reached at:
        comments@...

        for Print Permission at:
        mailto:comments@...

        Article Marketing Ebook at:

        *
        *
        * sitesandzines@yahoogroups.com
        *

        ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

        are owned and operated by:

        Bill Platt
        3010 E Raintree
        Stillwater, Oklahoma USA 74074

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
          A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bill Platt

          Article Title:
          Book Authors: How To Sell More Books And Get Your Publisher Active

          Article Description:
          It is an unfortunate reality that most people who write books
          believe that their publisher will always put their best foot
          forward, to promote their book. In the real world, it does not
          quite work that way.

          Additional Article Information:
          ===============================

          Distribution Date and Time: 2013-06-27 10:00:00

          Written By: Bill Platt
          Copyright: 2006-2013
          Contact Email: mailto:comments@...

          Bill Platt's Picture URL:
          http://thephantomwriters.com/x-images/bill_platt_80x105b.jpg

          For more free-reprint articles by Bill Platt, please visit:
          http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/bill-platt.html

          Versions Of Article Are Available at:
          http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/book-authors-can-sell-more-books.shtml#get_code

          Book Authors: How To Sell More Books And Get Your Publisher Active
          Copyright (c) 2006-2013 Bill Platt
          Writing Puzzle
          http://WritingPuzzle.com/