Understanding Inbound Links --- The Good, Bad And The Ugly

  • Bill Platt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2006
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bill Platt
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * sitesandzines@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      Understanding Inbound Links --- The Good, Bad And The Ugly

      Article Description:
      ====================

      All links are not created equal. There are worthless, good and
      great links. So, what is the difference between each one? I can
      sum it up in one word, "clicks".

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2006-06-22 17:13:00

      Written By: Bill Platt
      Copyright: 2006
      Contact Email: mailto:comments@...

      Bill Platt's Picture URL:
      http://thephantomwriters.com/x-images/bill_platt_80x105b.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Bill Platt, please visit:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Bill_Platt

      TEXT Copy-and-Paste and HTML Copy-and-Paste
      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/good-bad-ugly-inbound-links.shtml#get_code

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=3054&p=load

      Understanding Inbound Links --- The Good, Bad And The Ugly
      Copyright � 2006 Bill Platt
      Links And Traffic
      http://www.LinksAndTraffic.com

      All links are not created equal. There are worthless, good and
      great links. So, what is the difference between each one? I can
      sum it up in one word, "clicks".

      The most worthless links are those that appear on pages that will
      never be read by a set of human eyes.

      Some pages may be "seen" by human eyes, but they will not
      "read" by anyone. Bad formatting, no formatting, hard-to-read
      text, unorganized content, unorganized links, scraped search
      engine results, and pages with more keywords than content, are a
      few of the factors that prevent a webpage from being read by real
      people. You know the kinds of webpages I am talking about... You
      don't read them either. And, you can bet no one else will want
      to read at those pages either.

      Google is getting pretty good at identifying these trash websites
      and removing them from its database, so your link on this kind of
      website will not provide any real value to you at all. They will
      not give you human visitors, and they will not give you search
      engine placement value.

      There are two criteria necessary to define a good link. A good
      link is on a page that has content that people might want to
      read, and it is on a page that real human beings will be reading.

      A great link is the same as a good link, but it could have
      hundreds or thousands of people looking at it in a single month.

      THE EVOLUTION OF ARTICLE MARKETING AS A LINKING STRATEGY

      Article marketing has evolved dramatically since the early days
      of 2005.

      Prior to March of 2005, the only people who really participated
      in article marketing were those who understood the value of
      providing good quality content in order to get their articles
      published.

      With the combined introduction of article submission software,
      dirt cheap services and the Adsense revenue generation system,
      the quality of article content collapsed.

      Suddenly, people who were engaged in hiring $5 an hour ghost
      writers to write keyword-dense articles for their website,
      decided that those same keyword-dense articles that they had
      constructed for their websites, could also be used as a tool in
      article marketing.

      Within just about three months, the publishers and webmasters who
      utilized third-party reprint articles in their publications went
      from having to pick through 200-300 good quality articles per
      month, to having to sort through 2,000 questionable articles per
      month to find the 200-300 articles that they would actually want
      to consider for use.

      For someone like me who was entrenched in the article marketing
      industry, this would have seemed to be a good thing. But, with
      the introduction of the "Adsense article marketing mentality",
      the quality of content just about disappeared.

      I still believe that a good article marketing campaign is
      predicated by good quality content. I might be stupid, but I
      still make good money selling several products and services
      through the use of quality content in my own article marketing
      endeavors.

      One of my friends operates an article directory. He told me that
      for every seven articles sent to his site, he must delete six of
      them to maintain his website's quality standards! He is feeling
      the pinch of poor quality articles, because 86% of the articles
      he is moderating must be deleted, creating an environment where
      he wastes more time than should be necessary to maintain his
      commitment to a good quality website.

      ARTICLE MARKETING ONLY WORKS WHEN IT IS A DEMOCRACY

      The Adsense article marketers want to believe that they can send
      any piece of carp, keyword-optimized article through the
      distribution systems, and hundreds of websites will reprint their
      article.

      But, it does not quite work that way.

      Websites that will post absolutely anything sent to them do not
      survive. Some of you may think I am full of it when I say that.
      You might think that I just have an axe to grind. You are
      entitled to your own opinion. But, I could actually give you
      supporting examples, if I wanted to fill this article with links
      to websites that are no longer operational.

      Here is how it comes down. Websites that have no standards,
      cannot keep their readers happy. If they cannot keep their
      visitors happy, then they will not make any money. If they cannot
      make any money, they will not renew their website for the second
      year. Sometimes they will do a second year, but they will seldom
      if ever do a third year.

      The websites that have standards will survive, because they do
      have "content standards".

      Think about the highest quality websites you visit regularly.
      Then think about the kind of content that they use on their
      sites. Great websites do not print articles that are glorified
      keyword-optimized articles.

      Think about sites like:

      * http://www.SiteProNews.com - PR6

      * http://www.Publish101.com - PR6

      * http://www.Site-Reference.com - PR6

      * http://www.NationalBusiness.org - PR6

      * http://www.HardwareHell.com - PR5

      * http://www.AddMe.com/nlpast.htm - PR6

      What do each of these websites have in common?

      1. They are great websites that develop good and great links.

      2. They all have an excellent reputation for providing great
      quality content.

      3. They all have good PageRank.

      4. They do not publish keyword-optimized articles that focus more
      on keyword density, than on quality information.

      5. They have all published articles I have distributed.

      6. NationalBusiness.org has published articles written by members
      of my writing team. The other five sites have published articles
      that I have written myself... Many of them have published my own
      articles more than once.

      Quality content delivers quality results.

      QUALITY MATTERS

      No one wants to put your keyword-directed articles on their site,
      unless they have no standards of their own. And, if they have no
      standards, why would you want your link on their website?

      Personally, I am thrilled not to get those worthless links to my
      websites, because the website giving me that worthless link is
      considered by Google as a "bad neighborhood" or "spammy
      neighborhood".

      If you have never heard of Matt Cutts, he is a Google employee
      who shares some of the Google inner-workings with interested
      webmasters. Take a look at this post and pay close attention to
      his comments about "spammy neighborhoods" under the section
      subtitled "Bigdaddy: Done by March" at:
      http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/indexing-timeline/

      If you want to get a good feel for Matt's take on "bad
      neighborhoods", do a search at Google for: neighborhoods
      site:http://www.mattcutts.com .

      IN CONCLUSION...

      All links are not created equal.

      Personally, I strive hard to generate good and great links to my
      websites.

      That sometimes means that I spend several hours writing an
      article like this one. When I hire writers to work for me, I
      don't pay them $5 an hour. Good writers don't work for $5 an
      hour or article. It just doesn't happen.

      Remember, my goal is to educate my reader and to provide good
      quality information to my readers.

      The very nature of putting your reader first, will enable you to
      begin finding your articles placed on better quality websites.
      The better the website your article appears on, the better the
      quality link you will find from that website.

      If your purpose in using article marketing to build links to your
      website is being done in the "great PageRank chase", then you
      really should know that Google only cares about the placement of
      your link on sites that have good PageRank --- sites that reside
      in "good neighborhoods".

      If your purpose in using article marketing to build links to your
      website is so that human beings will use them to find your
      website, then getting your article placed on good websites will
      best serve your purpose.

      When all is said and done, if your links appear on good pages, on
      good websites, in good neighborhoods, then you have done well.
      You will see traffic from those links, and you will see better
      link popularity and search engine placement as a result of your
      good links. And finally, worthless links are just that...
      worthless.

      Bill Platt has been providing article distribution services to
      his clients through thePhantomWriters.com, since 2001. If you
      like the idea of using well-written, good quality informational
      articles to build links to your websites, but you do not have the
      time to do-it-yourself, then Bill's Link Building Services may be
      the best option for you. Bill is so confident in his ability to
      build links to your website using quality article content that
      he is willing to Guarantee his results. To learn more, visit: http://www.LinksAndTraffic.com . Free 7-page tutorial available.

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      Get TEXT or HTML Copy-and-Paste Versions Of This Article at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/good-bad-ugly-inbound-links.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Bill Platt can be reached at:
      comments@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:comments@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Bill Platt

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2006
        Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bill Platt
        See Terms of Reprint Below.

        *
        *
        * sitesandzines@yahoogroups.com
        *

        This article has been distributed by:
        http://Article-Distribution.com

        Helpful Link:

        Article Title:
        ==============

        Understanding Inbound Links --- The Good, Bad And The Ugly

        Article Description:
        ====================

        All links are not created equal. There are worthless, good and
        great links. So, what is the difference between each one? I can
        sum it up in one word, "clicks".

        Additional Article Information:
        ===============================

        Distribution Date and Time: 2006-12-27 10:12:00

        Written By: Bill Platt
        Copyright: 2006
        Contact Email: mailto:comments@...

        Bill Platt's Picture URL:
        http://thephantomwriters.com/x-images/bill_platt_80x105b.jpg

        For more free-reprint articles by Bill Platt, please visit:
        http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Bill_Platt

        If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
        We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
        us know where you have used this article, and we will
        include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

        http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=3054&p=load

        Versions Of Article Are Available at:
        http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/good-bad-ugly-inbound-links.shtml#get_code

        Understanding Inbound Links --- The Good, Bad And The Ugly
        Copyright (c) 2006 Bill Platt
[...]

        he is willing to Guarantee his results. To learn more, visit: http://www.LinksAndTraffic.com . Free 7-page linking tutorial.

        --- END ARTICLE ---

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
          Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bill Platt
          See Terms of Reprint Below.

          *
          *
          * sitesandzines@yahoogroups.com
          *

          This article has been distributed by:
          http://Article-Distribution.com

          Helpful Link:

          Article Title:
          ==============

          Understanding Inbound Links --- The Good, Bad And The Ugly

          Article Description:
          ====================

          All links are not created equal. There are worthless, good and
          great links. So, what is the difference between each one? I can
          sum it up in one word, "clicks".

          Additional Article Information:
          ===============================

          Distribution Date and Time: 2008-01-31 10:00:00

          Written By: Bill Platt
          Copyright: 2006-2008

          http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/bill-platt.html

          If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
          We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
          us know where you have used this article, and we will
          include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

          http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=3054&p=load

          Versions Of Article Are Available at:
          http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/good-bad-ugly-inbound-links.shtml#get_code

          Understanding Inbound Links --- The Good, Bad And The Ugly
          Copyright (c) 2006-2008 Bill Platt
[...]

          Bill Platt has been involved in article marketing professionally
          since 2001, as the owner of http://www.thePhantomWriters.com He
          and his staff have literally ghost written 1000's of articles for
          their clients. Learn about their low-cost ghost writing services
          (http://thephantomwriters.com/services/ghost-writing.html),
          or you can learn more about link building services here:
          http://linksandtraffic.com/seo-services/link-building.html

          --- END ARTICLE ---